Best choice for a fast growing plant/shrub to hide something ugly in central Florida

I recently purchased a home on a lake in Central Florida. Unfortunately, there is a sewage lift station on the edge of the property down near the lake. The lift station has a 7 foot tall unsightly chain link fence surrounding it. I want to plant something on the edge of my property that will eventually completely hide the 25 feet of the fence that borders my property.

I would be very appreciative of anyone who could suggest a plant/shrub that will be good for this purpose. I do not want to see that that fence anymore! What factors do I need to consider? If all other factors are equal, I would prefer something fast growing so that it will be that much sooner that the fence disapears. In your response, please throw out a best guess as to how long it will take for your plant suggestion to fill out and reach 7 feet in height. I would also appreciate any advice you have about how far apart to plant your suggestion. How far out from the fence should I be? Should the plants be in a single line or staggered in some manner? What type of fertilizer will help them grow the quickest? How much water do they need to really thrive? Will it grow OK in very sandy soil? Do you have any suggestion for something to plant in front of it that would be keep me from having just a tall shrub there? In case it matters, we are in the part of florida that gets a frost or two a year.

I know I tend to ask too many questions. I know we're all busy and don't have time to write too much. If that's the case, feel free to just suggest the plant/shrub. I can figure out the details on my own. Thank you so much.

David Jensen

Reply to
David Jensen

David Jensen wrote: : I recently purchased a home on a lake in Central Florida. : Unfortunately, there is a sewage lift station on the edge of the : property down near the lake. The lift station has a 7 foot tall : unsightly chain link fence surrounding it. I want to plant something : on the edge of my property that will eventually completely hide the 25 : feet of the fence that borders my property.

[...]

You're in luck. The University of Florida has a lot of great information on shrubs:

local Extension office is also a likely source for advice and factsheets. Local advice is always the best since it can take into account the specific growing conditions for your area.

Cheers!

-- Karen

The Garden Gate

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ^and cats -- Cicero =================================================================== On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002

Reply to
Karen Fletcher