Bermuda grass disappearing

Celebration,

variety. The grass will simply sit on its arse all day, refuse to do anything (like grow) and expect you to fertilise it constantly with beer. Best find yourself a hard working grass variety.

rob

Reply to
George.com

if its free the aussie grass will drink it but complain about it afterwards.

rob

Reply to
George.com

I have Bermuda grass on my lawn. I built a fence around my backyard about three years ago. Since then the grass in the left fence corner is gradually disappearing (the spot is enlarging from the fence post toward the house). Currently, there is a spot about 10' x 10' which is completely barren. I also have a tree in that corner but I have two other trees in the backyard and the grass there is just fine.

What may be causing the Bermuda grass to dislike the fence? More importantly, what could be done to reverse the process?

Reply to
Teo

Two possibilities come to mind.

Too much shade? Bermuda doesn't like shade.

Too much cold? Did the fence block air drainage and trap cold air in the area where the Bermuda isn't growing?

Reply to
Charles

Another possibility --- do you have dogs that like to pee in that spot ?

Reply to
AndyS

Thank you for the feedback. I live in Atlanta, GA, so cold probably is not the reason although I do notice that the grass is receding more after the winter. Is there anything that can be done to fix the issue besides tearing down the fence or cutting the tree :-)

Reply to
Teo

No dogs and no one does anything there except me mowing the lawn.

Reply to
Teo

Bermuda needs full sun to thrive. You might try the hybrid, Celebration, which claims to have some shade tolerance.

cat daddy

That may be so, and I'll defer to your keen insight into the Aussie horticultural tendencies........ It's unlikely American beer would make it very happy, in any case.

Reply to
cat daddy

If it isn't too much shade it's probably a water issue. What type soil in that corner? Clay soil takes a longer time to absorb rainfall and gets dry. I'm roughly 100 South of Atlanta and have spots of clay in my centipede yard that I have to be more diligent in watering those spots. Light watering for longer periods of time works better for me.

Regards,

Hal

Reply to
Hal

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 12:55:58 +1200, George.com plucked a feather from Fawkes, dipped it into the ink well and then scribed:

Many of us in OZ don't like Australian beer either finding it to be lacking in taste, so I brew my own and try to create a brew resembling that of a typical German styled beer. ;-)

Reply to
Erik Vastmasd

No, you are mistaken. The Australian grass will sneak up and try to tickle the feet of random sheep, trying to excite them.

Reply to
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

though Aussie grass varieties are very good for rolling cricket balls across I understand. Developed especially for that purpose.

rob

Reply to
George.com