Bell pepper/pinch back?

Every year I try to grow bell peppers here in Indiana and I get very slow growth although I feed...plenty of sunshine etc.
I think what I'm doing wrong is I'm getting these plants that are 6 - 7" and are already starting to flower and produce baby peppers.
During the early months, should you pinch back the flowers until the plant itself has established well?
If so, how long?....till mid July maybe?
Bell peppers are slow say compared to tomatoes. That is why when you get red or yellow peppers at the store they are priced a lot higher than green ones. It took all season to grow them. I don't pinch back mine and they do OK. Last year I got 2 plants at wal-Mart and they didn't grow hardly all season but the ones I got at the local Greenhouse did OK. Don't buy plants at the big box stores.
Mel & Donnie down in Bluebird Valley In the middle of beautiful down town Yountsville. Managers of the water works. http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/doc
http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/MelDonniesBluebird