Begonia Tubers

Hi,
I have grown begonia tubers for my hanging baskets for the last few year and to start them I put them into individual pots in soil from a peat based grow bag and they grow great. I have just planted them in the pot's for this year and I have just noticed the grow bag is Peat Free which I must have bought by mistake. Will they still grow OK as I know they like peat. Or will I have to re-pot them.
Thanks.
--
chazer

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:23:17 +0000, chazer

I'm not a begonia expert but I suspect there will be a "set back" if they have been in their new pots for over three weeks. I'm sure you don't have to repot them. If you like to experiment, repot one in your favored peat mix and see which one grows better.

You'll have more of a set back disturbing the roots repotting them than if you just let them go. I found bottom heat was more of an advantage to starting the begonia tubers than type of starting medium. I keep my home relatively cool. I just slide an old heating pad under the pan my starter pots are in and keep it on the low temperature setting. I've found this brings on a better root system and has a 2-3 week jump than when I used no bottom heat.
Val
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:23:17 +0000, chazer

When the root system is established, in about a month or so, you can repot them into a quality potting mix. That is better than plain peat moss. What they are growing in now is most likely coir, which is made from coconuts, aka coco peat.
chazer;775644 Wrote: > Hi,

> year and to start them I put them into individual pots in soil from a > peat based grow bag and they grow great. I have just planted them in > the pot's for this year and I have just noticed the grow bag is Peat > Free which I must have bought by mistake. Will they still grow OK as I > know they like peat. Or will I have to re-pot them.

Hi,
Thank you both for replies.
Val, Thankfully I will not have to re-pot if you say they were ok with you. I have always used peat based soil but for some reason I picked up wrong bag and planted tubers. That's a good idea for the heat underneath. I plant mine in pots put them in a propagator then bring them into the house at this time of year until it gets a bit warmer.
Thanks again.
--
chazer

HI, Begonias are so very pretty. I think they must be the most difficult to get exactly right - mine are usually too wet then they rot... any ideas?