Beginner gardener with clematis queries...help!

Hi,

Im hoping someone can advise me on my 2 issues. I have 2 clemtises (?!).

  1. Montana has been planted about 4 years. Looks healthy and finished flowering about 3 weeks ago. Saying that, I think it has developed some new growth in last week. Should I leave it? Also, I have never cut it back thogh so I wondering when I can do that, and if so, how brutally?

  1. Other clematis, type unknown, has loads of new growth and likely to start flowering in next week. I have seen though it is covered in black fly. I have never come across this before (you can tell I am a new gardener!). I assume I have to treat it. How is best to deal with it?

Your thoughts, tips and advice wd be much appreciated. Thanks!

Rebecca

Reply to
Rebecca

Clematis Queries... wouldn't that be a gay veneral disease?

I have 2 clemtises

Reply to
brooklyn1

I have three clematis growing on the same trellis. I've never pruned any of them, nor cut them back. They have been blooming for about 10 years now with no ill effects.

Blast them with a garden hose, every morning, for 3-4 days. Most insects will leave. Black flies should not be a threat to a plant because they feed on blood. If you are getting bitten, DEET will help.

Reply to
Phisherman

Clematis Montana is best left alone and not pruned except where necessary.

Reply to
Compostman