beetles

I'm talking beetles here. 1-2" long, stripes on their backs.

Found one in my potted plants and while trying nicely to remove him/her, it started hissing at me! I've been around, and I've never seen a beetle hiss and want to fight. No more nice lady.

But then came home from work and first chore to do is water my potted plants...and I'll be danged if there wasn't another beetle in the exact same plant only BIGGER! He put up a pretty good fight but lost the war.

The plants were Mums so I got no help from them!

Now to look up and see just what kind (oxymoron) beetles these were.

Donna in WA

Reply to
Irondale

Large beetle with stripes sounds like some sort of scarab beetle.

one of the Lined June Beetles (genus Polyphylla)?
is one species known for it's hissing:

Pat Kiewicz