Bees

Page 2 of 2

V, I'm a very active beekeeper and keep up with all of the current research. It hasn't been established let that a virus has lead to colony collapse disorder. The only sure thing that's known is that the bees are in trouble. Many of us think it's the chemicals used in agriculture, combined with the chemicals that have been used by any beekeeper who keeps bees commercially (mainly, although hobbyists have been using many of them, also). It also seems to strike migratory beekeepers more than hobbyists. Michael Bush (http://bushfarms.com/bees.htm ) will tell you that beekeepers on his Yahoo organic beekeeping group haven't lost a single hive to CCD.
What all of this tells me is that we're up against agribusiness again, chemical companies, the 8000 pound elephant in the middle of the room that no one wants to talk about......
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Yes, you're correct...they did say there was not one reason, but contended that grouped with stress. pesticides, virus' and other factors the bees are dissapearing. This is really something we should all be concerned with. I certainly am concerned. I'm not all freaking out and fear based with red zone terrorist threat charts, but concerned.
BTW, I've had your honey and it is delish.

Look, I only asked what makes organic honey, OK. Secondly, we have been plagued with nitwits who either say that they don't know the answer to a problem but they are too busy with school anyway, or we have newbies who want to start a garden but don't say what kind of plants they want to grow and don't tell us what USDA zone that they live in. Thirdly, we have "old timers" who have a personal, political, axes to grind, or we have people who are disjointed because they have been ridiculed for being supporters of total disasters like Dixie Ray Lee. Enough already.
Gentelmen, gentelwomen, can we garden now?
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars

And you were answered.

So, that justifies your nastiness?

You're the poster child for political axes to grind. No one brings up their politics more than you.

That's right, enough already, Billy.

It would be great if you'd start, instead of constantly demonstrated what a bitter, nasty little creature you've become.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Billy, I have no axe to grind with you, but if you want to garden now, go ahead and garden. I don't recall electing a president of rec.gardens and both Anne and I have been here for over a decade posting patiently to newbies trying to find out their zones. Newbies don't know there ARE zones, let alone know within which they reside.
Just have patience, it's such a nice way to be.
It is increasingly more difficult year after year to maintain any form of organic anything. There are strict rules and far too many to list. It takes three years of rigorous book keeping on every step of pest management, as well as every single shovel which enters the soil. If the honey you buy does not say Certified Organic, it is not organic in the way we mean it. This is a big problem in the industry right now and has been for quite a while...actually as long as I remember. The word to look for is "certified" not the casual term "organic."

After the USAD allowed toxic sludge to be used on organic, I don't believe anything unless I see it below the company's letter head. Then I can sue their sorry butts if they lie to me. Best know your grower.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
In article

I'm game. ;-)
Gotta weed tho' and get stuff prepared. I'm always concerned about the oft' present late March freeze tho'.
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

Historically, we have had freezes up to the 10th of May but they are usually over by early April. We had a very mild first three weeks in February, which sent many overly optimistic people to the nurseries. Two years ago, we had our rainiest April on record (in days and inches). I plan to get my cold weather stuff in, in early April, cabbage, onions and the like. Bless the chard. It doesn't get cold enough here to kill it off and it just keeps goin', and goin', and goin'.
Gardeners, start your compost heaps.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:06:54 -0000, "R M. Watkin"

I see "organic foods." But, I don't see any foods labeled "non-organic." I think it matters more if the food is fresh and clean more than anything else. Labels can lie.

Also produce that started out fresh and clean can be contaminated during their transport to your store. Foods aren't marked GMO, even though some people have allergic reactions to them. There are government standards for how much salmonella and e. coli (read shit) can be in your food. Irradiated crap is still crap.
I'd start you at http://www.chemicalbodyburden.org/ . To learn about the chemicals that are being released into the environment and how they find their way into your body.
Check out popular produce and their levels of pesticide residues. http://www.foodnews.org /
There is a lot of contention as to quality in organic foods. http://organicconsumers.org/sos.cfm looks like a helpful place to read. Also if you can get "Omnivore's Dilemma" or "In Defense of Food" both by Michael Pollan, either will take you to the cutting edge of nutrition.
Bon appetit.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars

Not labels which state "Certified Organic." If you suspect it is a lie you should report it as it is a hefty fine.

USDA makes the rules. The USDA can break the rules. http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/3980 You may want to checkout http://organicconsumers.org/sos.cfm as well. If you can get a producer to state under their letter head that they only use organic (not just approved, but organic) ingredients, that claim will trump USDA CERTIFIED. However, organic high fructose corn syrup would still be bad for you.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars

Michael Bush has forgotten more about bees than most people ever know.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com says...

That was my thought.
My wife (organic gardener and activist) was, if I recall correctly pointed to the site by the Canadian Green Party Agriculture Critic, who is an organic beekeeper.
Do you keep bees?

Yes, we do. We have three apiaries and right now have ten hives, but that will grow this season. We're 'backyard beekeepers', we do it for the enjoyment of it, we do sell honey, but it isn't a major portion of our income - heck, it'll take us years to pay back the investment in equipment! But it's lots of fun, and the learning is amazing.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

This sounds very serious to gardeners and farmers. I've already talked with two beekeepers. Will plant some extra flowers to help draw in the bees to my garden this year.

Last year I got completely engrossed in watching a bee work an echinacea bloom and packing the pollen into its' saddle bags. Then there's watching the first couple of zuchs fizzle and then everything getting back on track when the bees show up.