Bees

Page 1 of 2
And the hits just keep on coming. More on our pollenating friend.
Hard winter for honeybees Local beekeepers attribute unusual loss of hives to strange disorder, many other factors
http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/article/20080223/NEWS/802230323/1033/NEWS01
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
In article <wildbilly-77E0F9.09144423022008@c-61-68-245-

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id 4
http://bushfarms.com/bees.htm
-Thought you'd be interested.

You can manage your bees organically, but you really can't claim to provide organic honey. Unless you're in the middle of 8,000 square acres.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

What then does organic bee keeping mean, if the product isn't organic? Is 8,000 acres a legal definition or hyperbole?
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
In article <wildbilly-DF7F20.17515223022008@c-61-68-245-

It starts with not forcing the bees to grow unnaturally large. The rest amounts to philosophy of maintenance and the substances used for maintenance.

It's not hyperbole. Bees will travel substantial distances.

Not nice, just polite. That way he can call you anything he likes, as long as he couches it in 'polite' terms.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com says...

That is the measure of it :-)
I've been around networks for 24 or so years. I've seen it all and said some of it in my testier moments.
I stick to who and what interests me these days and summarily bin the rest. The rule-set of my newsreader allows me very flexible and indepth ways of binning the rest.
Bees and beekeeping interest me.

No, it's not hyperbole, Billy. That's the radius a honeybee will forage within.
Organic beekeeping means putting nothing in the hive but the honeybee and comb and managing all of the pests/problems organically.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

OK. I'll google my questions.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars

Hoping to find something to disprove me? Knock yourself out.
I wonder if your googling will lead you here? http://www.beesource.com/pov/organic/nosb.htm
Then again, I suppose that's totally discredited because I posted it.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I understand that there is a whole "freak" of paranoids out lookin' for you. Good luck with that.
Meantime I came up with:
http://www.dutchgoldhoney.com/store/info.asp
What Makes Honey Organic?
At the Bee Yard:
Organic honey must come from organic bees. Hives that have existing honey in them are forbidden to become organic. Organic honey must be produced from naturally foraging bee colonies that are located at least 2 miles (straight-line flight) from any source that could cause the honey to contain pesticides or herbicides. Within this 2 mile radius no pesticides or herbicides may be used, and must not have had any chemical application in the previous 3 years. Feeding of bees is prohibited. If feeding is necessary to prevent starvation, the honey produced is not organic.
(Note: A circle with an area of 8,000 acres [square or not] has a radius, to two places, of 3.2 km or 10,534.75 feet. Yeah, yeah, I know, the last four digits are noise and the 5 in the third place should have be rounded up. I'm off the clock, OK?)
Hives need to have all of their parts (supers, queen excluders, etc.) numbered to prevent accidental use in non organic hives. All hive parts must be made of wood. Comb foundations must be made from organic beeswax.
The extraction facility must be certified organic.
All organic honey must be certified by an approved organic certifying agency. The USDA's NOP program (National Organic Program) certifies the agencies. Dutch Gold and McLure's are certified by PCO (Pennsylvania Certified Organic) who inspects our facilities on behalf of the USDA. Dutch Gold only accepts honey from areas that are certified organic by an NOP approved certifier; furthermore the certifier must have physically visited the organic producing area.
http://www.theorganicreport.com/pages/461_organic_honey.cfm
According to USDA regulations, honey cannot be labeled certified organic if its production uses even traces of prohibited chemicals, drugs or antibiotics. Non-organic beekeepers routinely use sulfa compounds and antibiotics to control bee diseases, carbolic acid to remove honey from the hive and calcium cyanide to kill colonies before extracting the honey?, and of course conventional honeybees gather nectar from plants that have been sprayed with pesticides. The Lancet, a prestigious international medical journal, reported in 1993 that conventionally produced honey may contain residues of these chemicals and should be used with caution?, which is one of the reasons many of us jump for joy when we find a reliable source of certified organic honey.
http://www.ysorganic.com/organic.html
Organic bee colonies are not maintained with the use of any chemicals!
Terramycin for treating foulbrood disease,
Apistan for Verroa mites,
GardStar for treating small hive beetles, nor
Bee Go to chase bees instead of using a smoker.
We meet all the standards of Organic Certification including: GMO Free, Land Certification, Beehives Certification, Producer Certification, Processor Certification. --------
I gave a cursory look at the site you posted Ann (still with us?) http://www.beesource.com/pov/organic/nosb.htm and it looks like the site I was looking for. Thanks. (Now try and figure out what I meant by that.)
Another case solved Kato, my little friend. To all of our readers, I want to wish you 'appiness;-)
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars

Never with you, buddy.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

That's one nasty 'tude you got on you girl.
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars

You've earned every drop of it, Billy.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Unfortunately bees travel up to two miles for pollen and since clover is starting to dissappear rapidly as we make McMansions everywhere, the bees are in peril. The only way to insure organic honey is to have an enclosure for the bees which are making the honey. It's so sad what's happening to bees. Soon there will be none and goodbye food.

Yes, it is sad, however, there are many beekeepers out there trying really hard to figure it all out and ensure that the bees continue. It is a complex problem with many angles - one thing that rings true throughout all of this mess is our bees are like the canary in a coal mine - their ailments are trying to tell us something! I'm beginning to have just a glimmer of hope that the tide is ever so gradually turning.....I hope it turns before it's too late.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

There was a piece on 60 Minutes on Sunday evening about the bees. There is some sort of virus which is causing complete hive collapse and death. This one keeper brings his bees all over the country to pollinate farmers crops and recently his entire colony, which is in the tens of millions of bees all died. He ad to borrow money to build new hives and bees and he said if it happens again he is broke and will be out of business. He's been doing this for over thirty years.
Without his bees, the blueberries in Maine would not exist. This problem is much more serious than we know. Imagine, a business which hauls bees across the country to rent to farmers. That's a sign and it ain't good.

bee hauling has been around since post WWII, at least. it may also be one of the vectors for hive collapse.
one the brighter side, honey bees are not the only type of bees, nor the only pollenators of food crops. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

True, only the best:-(