Bee Happy, Big Lasagna and Free C

I've been thinking about what to do with the vacant lot across the street. (Atlanta, Piedmont 7B)

It's currently overgrown with Polk Salad, Mimosa, tall grasses and some other shallow rooted trees. (It was bulldozed 2 years ago and is where I got my garden bricks and stone) I've been pulling up much of this. There's a bit of wild strawberry and blackberry along the edges I like. My rough theory is to get rid of what I don't want and add what I do.

Down the street is a vacant block where I've been doing some blackberry harvesting. No poke salad or mimosa but a lot of blackberry and some tall (~3') yellow "weeds" with a large head (~8") of yellow flowerettes branching out from the center.

What interested me here is that large bumble bees were happily working these flowers. I don't have these in my yard.

What I'm thinking of doing is taking sections of the vacant lot and turning this into something like lasagna and adding in some bee happy flowers. The problem, aside from the work, is that I'm awash in green N and have little C, there is only a Pecan there and little leaf litter. I'd have to bring it (C) in from elsewhere.

Any rough ideas on how to bend mother nature in a direction more suitable to me?

On another note I notice that when picking blackberries that those in the shade mature first, least along are those in full sun.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

YOU'RE PICKING BLACKBERRIES ALREADY?!!

Reply to
Billy

That would be right. He lives in Georgia, I live in SW Michigan (borderline zone 5-6). In traveling, I have noticed with many things that his area will have them come due approx. 6 weeks before they do here - blackberries usually ripen in mid-July here. So he's right on schedule.

Tony M.

Reply to
Tony

I won't see them until mid Aug., here in N. California.

Reply to
Billy

Look under the lower branches, many are hidden in the shade. But I'm getting 2 or 3 cups every 2 or 3 days. I'm loving it!

I might be able to get more, but a half hour or so in blackberry brambles working up a sweat is enough!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

My problem is that half the time the red juice on my hands isn't juice :o(

Reply to
Billy

:)

That accurately sums up blackberry picking.

I suppose I shouldn't mention that I am eating them now. mmmm, plump and juicy... Trying to save some...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

There is a place in hell for people like you ;O)

Reply to
Billy

No idea what to do with the lot but what is growing there is far more likely to be poke sallet.

Reply to
John McGaw

Young, it's not that bad, but read this first.

Reply to
Billy

So, it's fine eating and if you are very careful, it won't poison you.

There's something in the vacant lot that looks a bit like asparagus, I might as well try that too, since I'm living dangerously ;-)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Uh . . .