Basil problem

I am trying to discover what happened to my basil. The plants were about six inches tall when I set them out. I pinched them back before planting. The new leaves were forming at the base of the old leaves and then all new growth vanished. I put out 40 plants the new growth disappeared from all but one. They have since recovered but I am searching to find what could be so voracious that it could devour all of those tiny new leaves. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Thanks
Sally http://www.aneclecticgarden.com
an eclectic garden wrote:

Japanese beetles are fairly voracious when it comes to anything tasty.