Basil Dying fast -stem browning from ground up

My basil is dying fast

Yesterday the thing looked very wilted so I gave it an extra watering, but today it looks worse and the entire plants looks like it is dying. The stems are browning from the root upwards. It looks brown to darkish brown. It looks like whatever is moving up all the stems. SOme branches appear to be shedding their leaves. I found a pile of dead leaves under the branches.

Sound familiar to anyone. DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

Do a search for "basil wilt".

If that's it, it's not good news.

Bob

watering,

dying.

stems. SOme

dead

Reply to
Bob

It matches everythign except the fact that my plant was a two foot high bush and very full and will probably look like sticks tomorrow. The wilt usually affects it before it reahes 12 inches. I even found some stem tips that had turned completely brown with healthy green stem further down. Very weird and very sudden. I think it is this wilt--which means I need to toss the batch of seeds I grew this from. Next year I'll have to look for a non-sweet variety.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

around the base. Watering more will make it worse, but if all the stems are brown then it is gone. Chemicals will cost more than a new plant, but usually this problem is from the plants being too wet, either from not enough light and/or air movement or just plain too much rain. It happens alot with new seedlings of many kinds of garden plants often in the spring when the ground is cool and wet. charles

Reply to
charles ufford

I've never heard of damping off happening to large plants. This was two large bush-like plants 2 feet high, 2 feet wide. The transplant went in the ground in May so it was 10 weeks after transplant--I think I bought it at a nursery. I've been pulling flowers off the basil a few weeks. We did have soaking rains but the ground actually looked fairly dry when I noticed how wilted it was--so I watered it thinking it was not getting enough.

Now too cool is interesting becuase we just had sudden cool days including cool nights about 60 degrees. And it was when the cool weather started that i first noticed the wilted condition.