Bang, Bang,Bang...Here's an Article for You Chemical-Heads

Page 4 of 5
was forced to post this

Nope, I know what both of those look like. In fact, at the herbal gardens the German Chamomile has been blooming for a few weeks now and I love it but it's not the plant I remember in the lawn. The daisies in the lawn were wonderful little things but they were LITTLE, low-growing beauties. Darn. I wish I knew what they were.
On 5/30/07 5:19 PM, in article f3kpod$6is$ snipped-for-privacy@blackhelicopter.databasix.com,
Big Old SNIP!

Dang - where are our British friends? I saw something like that at Kew and The Cambridge Botanical Garden. Ferny leaves? Right? C
wrote: Big

Gee, I don't remember the leaves at all. It's been many years (er... *decades* -- yikes) since I saw them. But Grandpa was from Scotland so perhaps he had a love of them that isn't common here in the U.S..
FragileWarrior wrote:

thinking there is a type of aster that many people consider weeds in the lawn
Lar

FW The small daisies that I remember being in lawns, (when I had a lawn) were English Daisy Bellis perennis. There were white ones and pink. They stayed quite low because they kept getting mowed down. There are 'horticultural' varieties now that get taller, they like cool weather and don't survive the summer heat here, but look nice in spring. Emilie NorCal
HEY! I would love to have clover, it has to be better than this junk that grows in our sandy yard! LOL

Somewhere in some magazine recently (it may have been Horticulture, or People, Places and Plants) I read of the history of clover in lawns, and how the man who developed broadleaf weed killer was upset at the fact that his product killed the white clover in lawns. There was nothing he could do about it (well, he could have not developed it, but that's history, isn't it?). Thus white clover became a 'weed' instead of a nice addition to lawn, fixing nitrogen and providing forage for our honeybees. I'm trying to google that history but I'm not having much luck.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:51:43 -0500, Charlie wrote:

SISTA? Last I checked, I was still a BRUDDA !?!? ;-)
I realize testosterone levels decrease significantly as I age, but dayam. :-(
Being Very Careful to remain a BRUDDA!! Charlie
On Sun, 27 May 2007 23:06:05 -0500, Charlie wrote:

It's just an expression Brudda. I always say it to both men and women. I've been hanging out with too many gay guys!

Whew! Thanks for the clearup, Sista. Brudda was starting to have some sort of gender crisis! An existential gender meltdown!
OK.... I am comfortable now!
Androgynously yours, Brudda Charlie
On Tue, 29 May 2007 00:30:25 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Yo...Yow...Yo...Yow, etc!
I actually visit a guy on death row here in Texas. He case after twenty years was reversed and he's off the row, at least for now after 20 years. Anyway, he's gay. He was gay when he did his crime, not a jailhouse gone gay. One time I said "you go girl" and he didn't or never heard the expression and I had to splain it to him. I'll see him on Thursday...oh so way off topic.
<Charlie> wrote in message > Came across this article after watching Joe's debate above and thought

Being new to gardening, I'm wondering what natural pest repellants I can use. I've heard that tobacco juice repels a lot of garden pests. Do you have any other ideas?

You betcha!
First and foremost, and this takes time and work... condition your soil. Second, love the garden. If you don't enjoy it, you will be disappointed. Third, start with what you can manage as you learn. Many a gardener is overwhelmed by having too grand a plan.
Healthy plants resist pests and disease.
Protect the pollinators at all cost. DO NOT use anything that will kill them. Honeybees aren't the only bees working the garden and the neighborhood.
Google organic and natural pesticides, repellants, organic gardening, beneficial insects and how to attract them.
Hand pick the little bastids when possible.
Bioneem Insecticide.
Check out:
www.arbico-organics.com as much for ideas as products.
Read Mother Earth News.
Keep askin' questions.
And don't fret about it, the little suckers are gonna get some of your crop. It's a learning experience.
There is a wealth of info out there brother.
Be Careful, gardening can turn into an obsession! :-) Charlie
Hud wrote:

Just stating the obvious...you are aware of the warning labels found on tobacco products.
Lar

Most people do not realize that natural products can contain the most toxic chemicals. Afflatoxin, ricin and botulism are examples where toxicity exceeds that of nerve gases.
Frank

There is an expert on such things (IPM) who posts to this news group, John Bachman. I don't know what it would take to elicit his opinion but that is where I would go. Good luck.
- Bill

Yes, pick up a good book on organic gardening, put most of your hard earned money into creating healthy soil using good compost with both bacterial and fungal properties and when plants are healthy, pesticides are not necessary
Bull Shit!
----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road -----------------

Well said.
What are we talking about, Ron? Quoting helps follow a thread.