Bang, Bang,Bang...Here's an Article for You Chemical-Heads

how's 'bout fried green tomatos then?

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in news:465eb07d$ snipped-for-privacy@news.intrstar.net:

No, 'cause, see, it has that icky "green" word in it. That cancels the second part of the equation.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C284279C.69874% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

Gee, I don't remember the leaves at all. It's been many years (er...

*decades* -- yikes) since I saw them. But Grandpa was from Scotland so perhaps he had a love of them that isn't common here in the U.S..
Reply to
FragileWarrior

I'd have thought the fried out weighed the green! giggle

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

On Sun, 27 May 2007 19:51:43 -0500 in , Charlie graced the world with this thought:

So, basically, being called names by a control freak that insists you do what they say is the reason for not using chemicals? I was always taught that people who engaged in name calling had usually had no real point to make, or were suffering from near-terminal ignorance.

Reply to
bizbee

A rose is a rose by any other name, ya know?

Please provide polite ways of describing someone who actually is lazy, ignorant and doesn't give a crap.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You know that isn't very smart, funny, but not smart.

- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Reply to
Bill Rose

When I get fried, I sometimes I'm green (around the gills) but I get fried anyway. That's not smart either.

- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Reply to
Bill Rose

Bill Rose wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au:

Do you remember the show WINGS? It's a line from that.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

What time is chow on, Rachael Rae!!! In about thirty minutes? Seriously, I feel like Pavlov's dog and you just rang the dinner bell.

Wow, fried green tomatoes, pulled pork sammiches with coleslaw on top and vinegar/pepper sauce, sliced maters from the garden, cold beer.....Heaven.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

FW The small daisies that I remember being in lawns, (when I had a lawn) were English Daisy Bellis perennis. There were white ones and pink. They stayed quite low because they kept getting mowed down. There are 'horticultural' varieties now that get taller, they like cool weather and don't survive the summer heat here, but look nice in spring. Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

It is an Oxalis, comes in yellow and pink flowered, yes. We used to call it Sour Grass in So Cal. Some are very invasive and some are real weeds, some are quite beautiful in the Redwood forests Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

Hey Charlie,

Supper was running a little behind schedule tonight. Unfortunately, my mother-in-law was in an accident this morning and I went to take care of her. Supper tonight consisted of ribeyes, french fries, of course the fried green tomatos, parkerhouse rolls, and sweet tea. Didn't have time to do much. Collards will have to wait til tomorrow. Pulled pork will be next weekend at my sister's high-school grad party. Oh and no beer at my house - you will have to BYOB! lol

Love! Rachael (rae)

just another southern cook!

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

hey! I actually remembered that!! lol........

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

I pray she is alright.

I'm going to have to raise some collards, never had fresh, just Bush's canned and seasoned and they were kinda.... not too good, IMO.

Supper sounds super. sounds like a good midwest farm supper. My aunt is from Georgia and when she fixes sweet tea it is *sweet*. I am more used to unsweet tea.

The first 'maters eaten in our house are always fried green!

It doesn't get any better'n pulled pork. I was pokin' at ya, hopin' to troll you in and get you hoppin' about what sauce goes with pulled pork. ;-)

I guess you are just too genteel to mix it up with yer elders!

I'll leave the beer at home, I always try and respect the customs and wishes of others, except them stinkin' chemical-heads. ;-)

Congrats and all to your sister... I'll bet ya'll (no pokin' fun at southern speech, I'm in northern MO and actually talk like that) have a great time!

*Just* another southern cook! Shoot dahlin', you southern gals know what to do with food! My favorite foods come from the south. Low-country, cajun, creole, *real* BBQ. I've been practicing for years now, hope to get it just right some day.

BTW "Fried Green Tomatoes" is one of our favorite movies.

Love and care, rae Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in news:465f7fe5$1 @news.intrstar.net:

[..]

Roy Bigguns didn't have a lot of plus points to his character but that particular line was a true classic, IMO. :)

(And I particularly enjoyed when he let slip there was treasure in his backyard just to get everyone to sneak over and dig up his back yard for him.)

Reply to
FragileWarrior

She will be fine - had severe whiplash and swelling around her neck - will be sore and unable to turn neck for a few days.........

Canned collards are the worst! Frozen aren't much better, either. Nothing beats fresh homecooked collards with the right seasoning to them!

I believe only true southerners drink sweet tea - here it's two cups of sugar per gallon!

But of course!

Only homemade red sauce, Texas Pete, and/or hot, hot pepper vinegar!

Or I was just too tired to catch on.......

These days not many care about what others might think or not like/care for

let me know what you think you are doing *wrong* and maybe some of us can give you pointers for a change! of course, that would be slightly off topic (like these last few post haven't been! lol) for this group

Believe it or not - I've never seen the movie all the way thru - just bits and pieces

Same to you! Love, Rae

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

"FragileWarrior" >

I'm a little too young to remember that much about it.............

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

In article , FragileWarrior >

Oh come now. Thats an ol' Irish joke. To wit.

An aging man lived alone in Ireland. His only son was in Long Kesh Prison, and he didn't know anyone who would spade up his potato garden.

The old man wrote to his son about it, and received this reply, "For HEAVENS SAKE, don't dig up that garden, that's where I buried the GUNS!!!!!"

At 4 A.M. the next morning, a dozen British soldiers showed up and dug up the entire garden, but didn't find any guns.

Confused, the man wrote to his son telling him what happened and asking him what to do next.

His son's reply was: "Just plant your potatoes."

-----

Which reminds me of another Irish story about . . .

a wedding that occurred, just outside Cavan in Ireland. To keep tradition going, everyone got pissed and the bride's and groom's families had a storming rage and begin wrecking the reception room and generally kicking the crap out of each other. The police get called in to break up the fight.

The following week, all members of both families appear in court. The fight continues in the court room until the Judge finally brings calm with the use of his hammer, shouting "Silence in Court."

The court room goes silent and Paddy (the best man) stands up and says, "Judge.. I was the best man at the wedding and I think I should explain what happened."

The Judge agrees and asks Paddy to take the stand. Paddy begins his explanation by telling the court that it is traditional in a Cavan wedding that the Best Man gets the first dance with the Bride.

The judge says "OK."

"Well", said Paddy, "After I had finished the first dance, the music kept going, so I continued dancing to the second song, and after that the music kept going and I was dancing to the third song.. when all of a sudden the Groom leapt over the table, ran towards us and gave the Bride an unmerciful kick in her privates."

The Judge instantly responded... "Wow.. that must have hurt!" Paddy replies "HURT!.. He broke three of my fingers!"

Reply to
Bill Rose

Yep....too sweet for this midwesterner!

What do you do for your hot, hot? I use cider vinegar, brown sugar (not a lot), hot sauce (lots), salt, and crushed red pepper..

How do you make your red sauce? I've had Texas Pete.

It's different times, isn't it, and it isn't right. You just keep on and don't lose it. You seem to be a sweet, kind lady and you just don't forget it and let the world beat you down.

Seems like lots on this group do care and are makin' the effort.

Shoot......everbody's getting the gardens in and it is time for a little hangin' over the fence and chatting. This isn't school....it's life!!!!!

Anyhow.......

I think part of my doing wrong is the access to good ingredients.

Here I can't get good shrimp, or crawdads (though I do go out and seine and clean up the local mudbugs, they are pretty good, but nothing like fresh Louisiana 'dads), or andouille for honest to goodness cajun. Frog-bottom stew needs good fresh shrimp..can't get it. Just that farm-raised stuff from overseas.

Maybe it's a regional soil thing as well. Like Vidalia onions. We're getting them imported to our area now and are eating them like crazy.

Maye it's the lack of generations of experience of just plain old doing it. It's a regional and love thing. Bless ya' fer offering help. And I *do* want your pulled porked sauce recipes. I'm firing up the pit this weekend.

And back at you again, Rae! Charlie

Reply to
Charlie