Bang, Bang,Bang...Here's an Article for You Chemical-Heads

Page 3 of 5
Hey Charlie,
Supper was running a little behind schedule tonight. Unfortunately, my mother-in-law was in an accident this morning and I went to take care of her. Supper tonight consisted of ribeyes, french fries, of course the fried green tomatos, parkerhouse rolls, and sweet tea. Didn't have time to do much. Collards will have to wait til tomorrow. Pulled pork will be next weekend at my sister's high-school grad party. Oh and no beer at my house - you will have to BYOB! lol
Love! Rachael (rae)
just another southern cook!
<Charlie> wrote in message wrote:

On Thu, 31 May 2007 22:06:18 -0400, "Rachael Simpson"

I pray she is alright.
I'm going to have to raise some collards, never had fresh, just Bush's canned and seasoned and they were kinda.... not too good, IMO.
Supper sounds super. sounds like a good midwest farm supper. My aunt is from Georgia and when she fixes sweet tea it is *sweet*. I am more used to unsweet tea.
The first 'maters eaten in our house are always fried green!

It doesn't get any better'n pulled pork. I was pokin' at ya, hopin' to troll you in and get you hoppin' about what sauce goes with pulled pork. ;-)
I guess you are just too genteel to mix it up with yer elders!
I'll leave the beer at home, I always try and respect the customs and wishes of others, except them stinkin' chemical-heads. ;-)
Congrats and all to your sister... I'll bet ya'll (no pokin' fun at southern speech, I'm in northern MO and actually talk like that) have a great time!

*Just* another southern cook! Shoot dahlin', you southern gals know what to do with food! My favorite foods come from the south. Low-country, cajun, creole, *real* BBQ. I've been practicing for years now, hope to get it just right some day.
BTW "Fried Green Tomatoes" is one of our favorite movies.
Love and care, rae Charlie
--
"Of all the wonderful things in the wonderful universe of God, nothing
seems to me more surprising than the planting of a seed in the blank
<Charlie> wrote in message wrote:

She will be fine - had severe whiplash and swelling around her neck - will be sore and unable to turn neck for a few days.........

Canned collards are the worst! Frozen aren't much better, either. Nothing beats fresh homecooked collards with the right seasoning to them!

I believe only true southerners drink sweet tea - here it's two cups of sugar per gallon!

But of course!

Only homemade red sauce, Texas Pete, and/or hot, hot pepper vinegar!

Or I was just too tired to catch on.......

These days not many care about what others might think or not like/care for

let me know what you think you are doing *wrong* and maybe some of us can give you pointers for a change! of course, that would be slightly off topic (like these last few post haven't been! lol) for this group

Believe it or not - I've never seen the movie all the way thru - just bits and pieces

Same to you! Love, Rae
--
> "Of all the wonderful things in the wonderful universe of God, nothing
> seems to me more surprising than the planting of a seed in the blank
On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:48:13 -0400, "Rachael Simpson"

Yep....too sweet for this midwesterner!

What do you do for your hot, hot? I use cider vinegar, brown sugar (not a lot), hot sauce (lots), salt, and crushed red pepper..
How do you make your red sauce? I've had Texas Pete.

It's different times, isn't it, and it isn't right. You just keep on and don't lose it. You seem to be a sweet, kind lady and you just don't forget it and let the world beat you down.
Seems like lots on this group do care and are makin' the effort.

Shoot......everbody's getting the gardens in and it is time for a little hangin' over the fence and chatting. This isn't school....it's life!!!!!
Anyhow.......
I think part of my doing wrong is the access to good ingredients.
Here I can't get good shrimp, or crawdads (though I do go out and seine and clean up the local mudbugs, they are pretty good, but nothing like fresh Louisiana 'dads), or andouille for honest to goodness cajun. Frog-bottom stew needs good fresh shrimp..can't get it. Just that farm-raised stuff from overseas.
Maybe it's a regional soil thing as well. Like Vidalia onions. We're getting them imported to our area now and are eating them like crazy.
Maye it's the lack of generations of experience of just plain old doing it. It's a regional and love thing. Bless ya' fer offering help. And I *do* want your pulled porked sauce recipes. I'm firing up the pit this weekend.

And back at you again, Rae! Charlie
--
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a
garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace

Modern science gave spawn to modern food production and distribution. This was partly due to the old-time lying and, cheating methods of food production and distribution. Modern science has give us new lying and, cheating methods of food production and distribution. Thank the lord that we now have been saved by "organic" lying and, cheating methods of food production and distribution.
Moral of the story,"If you grow it, you know what you got".
- (Bill)y Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Even Leibig who relentlessly brayed about how the soil only needs NPK said on his death bed he was completely wrong. I believe a pretty good read, if you can get past some of the juju is Secrets of the Soil. In that book they give specific recipes about making biodynamic gardening, etc.
I'm curious as to what you mean when you say we've been saved by organic lying and cheating methods.

You know that isn't very smart, funny, but not smart. - Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Do you remember the show WINGS? It's a line from that.

hey! I actually remembered that!! lol........

[..]
Roy Bigguns didn't have a lot of plus points to his character but that particular line was a true classic, IMO. :)
(And I particularly enjoyed when he let slip there was treasure in his backyard just to get everyone to sneak over and dig up his back yard for him.)

I'm a little too young to remember that much about it.............

Oh come now. Thats an ol' Irish joke. To wit.
An aging man lived alone in Ireland. His only son was in Long Kesh Prison, and he didn't know anyone who would spade up his potato garden.
The old man wrote to his son about it, and received this reply, "For HEAVENS SAKE, don't dig up that garden, that's where I buried the GUNS!!!!!"
At 4 A.M. the next morning, a dozen British soldiers showed up and dug up the entire garden, but didn't find any guns.
Confused, the man wrote to his son telling him what happened and asking him what to do next.
His son's reply was: "Just plant your potatoes."
-----
Which reminds me of another Irish story about . . .
a wedding that occurred, just outside Cavan in Ireland. To keep tradition going, everyone got pissed and the bride's and groom's families had a storming rage and begin wrecking the reception room and generally kicking the crap out of each other. The police get called in to break up the fight.
The following week, all members of both families appear in court. The fight continues in the court room until the Judge finally brings calm with the use of his hammer, shouting "Silence in Court."
The court room goes silent and Paddy (the best man) stands up and says, "Judge.. I was the best man at the wedding and I think I should explain what happened."
The Judge agrees and asks Paddy to take the stand. Paddy begins his explanation by telling the court that it is traditional in a Cavan wedding that the Best Man gets the first dance with the Bride.
The judge says "OK."
"Well", said Paddy, "After I had finished the first dance, the music kept going, so I continued dancing to the second song, and after that the music kept going and I was dancing to the third song.. when all of a sudden the Groom leapt over the table, ran towards us and gave the Bride an unmerciful kick in her privates."
The Judge instantly responded... "Wow.. that must have hurt!" Paddy replies "HURT!.. He broke three of my fingers!"
--

and of course, an Irish Pub is where you go to get bellicose,
lachrymose and, comatose.

'cause some one told them it's a weed
was forced to post this in:

So are daylillies, along millions of miles of roads in this country. :-)
rec.gardens

So are my beloved butterfly bushes and wild geraniums.
Michael
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf

Well, ya! (Giggle)
was forced to post this in:

What are the teeny little daisy looking plants that you sometimes find in lawns? And where can I get seed?
On 5/30/07 11:31 AM, in article f3k5d8$lnc$ snipped-for-privacy@blackhelicopter.databasix.com,

Chamomile?
was forced to post this in:

I don't think so unless there's a teeny version of Chamomile. This grew no higher than clover. My grandfather used to have it in his lawn and I thought, for a while there, you could buy seeds for it for your lawn, but I haven't see it growing or seen packages of seeds for years and years and <cough> years.

There are two chamomile, the Roman and, the German. The German lies flatter than the Roman and, is the choice for tisanes. Just trying to keep us all on the same page.