Bang, Bang,Bang...Here's an Article for You Chemical-Heads

Page 2 of 5
rec.gardens

I don't know much about clover and it doesn't bother me in the lawn. I like the little white blossoms and the honey bees like it. I leave it alone and it leaves me alone. I don't sow it but if I had a real large area of space I might. I'm trying to remember the name of that plant that grows and is pleasantly sour to taste. It grows little yellow blossoms. I used to nibble on it when I was a kid. I leave it alone too. Damn if I can remember the name of it.
Michael
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf

Years ago, I read something about how clover takes over when your soil heads in a certain direction with regard to either pH or nutrients, or both. I don't recall the details because it was just one of those "Oh that's interesting but it doesn't matter to me" moments. But, I do recall that soil corrections could be made with either lime or fertilizer, depending on what the issue is.
This may be another "I don't care" moment. I'm just sayin....
was forced to post this in:

Wood Sorrel. Got shitloads of it here. I was glad to find out it had herbal applications.
(Stay tuned for a doom-n-gloom lecture which should be here any second now...)
On Wed, 30 May 2007 15:30:57 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Helloooooo! Who you be expecting, Eyore?
Could it also be Shepherd's Purse? We nibble on it and it sounds also like what Michael is describing.
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Shepherd 's%20Purse.html
Is this your woods sorrel?
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Sorrel.html
I do see it has yeller blooms too.
Just being curious, because we have the shepherds purse everywhere.
Cheerfully Charlie
Charlie wrote in was forced to post this in:

Nope. That's different.

Yep, it's there. So is the pink blooming version.

Sheperd's purse is easily recognized by its distinctive heart-shaped seed pods -- something that Wood Sorrel doesn't have. I've never heard of eating it but, hey, I'm new to this herbal stuff, too.
Charlie was forced to post this in: rec.gardens

The second link looks like it. The description says rose colored blooms but mine blooms yellow. Apparently there are different varieties that bloom different colors. From reading the thread I'm 99.9% that is what it is.
Michael
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf
On May 30, 6:58 pm, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"

call it Sour Grass in So Cal. Some are very invasive and some are real weeds, some are quite beautiful in the Redwood forests Emilie NorCal
On 5/30/07 11:27 AM, in article Xns99406977E3892zjlzzjkvjzklzjkljxkl@69.28.186.121, "Michael "Dog3"

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

Common Yellow Wood-Sorrel. It's a variety of oxalis. Sometimes incorrectly called "sour clover". HTH :-)
Bob

Sounds like what I'm used to here in California except ours has a pink flower. I've always called it "sour grass". Nobody talks about it. Nobody plants it. It just comes up. It's about 3" - 4" high, stems grow longer but they flop over and has "clover-like" leaves. - Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
was forced to post this in:

Yep, there's a pink version and a lavender version, too. Not here, though. We only get the yellow one.
I have a checkerboard herb garden this year and I put our version in one of the openings. I like it when people go, "BUT THAT'S A WEED!" :)
in: rec.gardens

I don't know where it comes from and I don't notice it spreading all over the place. It's like a surprise. It sits there looking like a nuisance and the it blooms.
Michael
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf

More nutritious than spinach, IIRC.
BTW, I just made some dandelion/red clover jelly. It was GOOOOOOOD. :)

Ever come in contact with Malabar Spinach? A tasty vine.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?scommand=search&search=Ma labar&item$37
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Nope, never heard of it.

I have to be honest, my tolerance of green things is very limited. My personal motto is, "If it's green it's trouble; if it's fried, get double."
:)

how's 'bout fried green tomatos then?

No, 'cause, see, it has that icky "green" word in it. That cancels the second part of the equation.
On 5/31/07 7:39 AM, in article f3mc66$7hq$ snipped-for-privacy@blackhelicopter.databasix.com,

I'd have thought the fried out weighed the green! giggle

When I get fried, I sometimes I'm green (around the gills) but I get fried anyway. That's not smart either.
- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum
On Thu, 31 May 2007 07:27:07 -0400, "Rachael Simpson"

What time is chow on, Rachael Rae!!! In about thirty minutes? Seriously, I feel like Pavlov's dog and you just rang the dinner bell.
Wow, fried green tomatoes, pulled pork sammiches with coleslaw on top and vinegar/pepper sauce, sliced maters from the garden, cold beer.....Heaven.
Charlie