Bang, Bang,Bang...Here's an Article for You Chemical-Heads

Came across this article after watching Joe's debate above and thought it appropriate to my situation and his argument.

And yes it is garden related!

Keep your damned s**t away from my unborn grandchildren.

If you have to use poison in your garden, there are several possible wrongs.

  1. Your soil is deficient

  1. You are lazy

  2. You are ignorant

  1. You simply don't give a crap.

You chemical heads (sorry for plagerizing the term, Bill) are crapping in our nest. If you can't garden without poison, don't friggin' garden. Years ago, when living in the country, I lost most of my garden when some effwad in a cropduster hit my garden.

All summer, I have to smell all the different crap that is applied to lawns and gardens all around town. Besides being dangerous, much of it *stinks*.

Care... about the Earth, and the rest of us Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

You forgot:

  1. Hopelessly stupid
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Reply to
jangchub

AND

  1. Woefully inept
Reply to
jangchub

Being new to gardening, I'm wondering what natural pest repellants I can use. I've heard that tobacco juice repels a lot of garden pests. Do you have any other ideas?

Reply to
Hud

You betcha!

First and foremost, and this takes time and work... condition your soil. Second, love the garden. If you don't enjoy it, you will be disappointed. Third, start with what you can manage as you learn. Many a gardener is overwhelmed by having too grand a plan.

Healthy plants resist pests and disease.

Protect the pollinators at all cost. DO NOT use anything that will kill them. Honeybees aren't the only bees working the garden and the neighborhood.

Google organic and natural pesticides, repellants, organic gardening, beneficial insects and how to attract them.

Hand pick the little bastids when possible.

Bioneem Insecticide.

Check out:

as much for ideas as products.

Read Mother Earth News.

Keep askin' questions.

And don't fret about it, the little suckers are gonna get some of your crop. It's a learning experience.

There is a wealth of info out there brother.

Be Careful, gardening can turn into an obsession! :-) Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

SISTA? Last I checked, I was still a BRUDDA !?!? ;-)

I realize testosterone levels decrease significantly as I age, but dayam. :-(

Being Very Careful to remain a BRUDDA!! Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Just makes enemies out of people who want to be your friends. We all start out stupid or ignorant. Point at the way or get out of it.

I've been ignorant for 64 years now but slowly but surely, I'm working towards the light.

Bill Rose

Well, sort of maybe. News of problems with chemicals has been in newspapers at least since the late 1960s, when I first became interested in it. Anyone who hasn't noticed is, as I said above, hopelessly stupid. We're talking

40-ish years. Nobody's so busy over a period of 40 years that they can claim to have noticed nothing.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Just stating the obvious...you are aware of the warning labels found on tobacco products.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

Most people do not realize that natural products can contain the most toxic chemicals. Afflatoxin, ricin and botulism are examples where toxicity exceeds that of nerve gases.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Yes, pick up a good book on organic gardening, put most of your hard earned money into creating healthy soil using good compost with both bacterial and fungal properties and when plants are healthy, pesticides are not necessary

Reply to
jangchub

It's just an expression Brudda. I always say it to both men and women. I've been hanging out with too many gay guys!

Reply to
jangchub

On Mon, 28 May 2007 05:24:36 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote: =

Ever watch the nightly news shows? The puppet heads? How about Elizabeth Hasselback? She still defends Bush. This is mainstream. Bush was elected (appointed or selected) twice. I've given up hope a long time ago.

Reply to
jangchub

My local paper runs stories about chemical pollution, and the paper's owned by Gannett, which publishes in lots of cities. That's mainstream. Like I said, anyone who hasn't noticed is stupid.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There is an expert on such things (IPM) who posts to this news group, John Bachman. I don't know what it would take to elicit his opinion but that is where I would go. Good luck.

- Bill

Bill Rose

Yes, I've also come to this conclusion, but I throw in lazy. I have always posted here about how lazy people are. They don't even read the label before application of toxic, carcinogens. I just told my husband today that we should buy 100 acres and put 5 dome homes on it, all attached, one being a working greenhouse for oxygen and just never go outside. In about 20 years that's probably how the earth will be. Sad.

Reply to
jangchub

I want 100 acres with a house in the middle, just so I can read a book outside without listening to the stoopids, all running their leaf blowers for the entire weekend. The guy across the street will spend hours literally chasing four leaves.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Whew! Thanks for the clearup, Sista. Brudda was starting to have some sort of gender crisis! An existential gender meltdown!

OK.... I am comfortable now!

Androgynously yours, Brudda Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Do you live on my block!? My neighbor used to bag every leave on the property with the leaf vac and I'd take every bag and put it on all my beds. One time I told him to just buy a mulching blade. He said leaving the leaves on the grass kills it. Uh duh? He mowed in his cowboy boots and hat. I tried to show him that our lawn twas much greener than his and we never fertilize, but we use a mulching blade. Oh well. This is someone who mowed with a ride on mower and he barely had 1/4 acre!

Do you watch Carlos Mencia? Dee dee dee.

Reply to
jangchub