Bamboo Question

I was participating in the Christmas bird count when walking near the edge of a cemetery, I saw a stand of bamboo. I live in Pittsburgh, PA, and we have had temperatures a number of times around 5 degrees f. The bamboo was green. It was located in an area where a lot of stuff appeared to be dumped. Maybe someone placed bamboo at a grave, and the caretakers removed it, and then dumped it there. I pulled off a section, and brought it home. I stuck it in a pot with soil inside my house. Do I need to do anything else in order for it to grow?
thanks
Tom
Most likely the variety of bamboo you encountered will not propagate from any above ground parts. You will need a length of rhizome with viable buds with or without a culm (cane).