Bamboo fence

I want to hear opinions on whether or not I can grow a 600' long bamboo wind fence where I live.
I live in Toquerville, Ut. Elevation 3700'. Freezing temps in winter down to about 15 degrees. They say 100 days or so of 32 of less per year. After living here a year, I'd agree. Summer gets up to just a bit over 100.
I have consulted different books and manuals, and get different zone numbers, so I'm not sure which zone I live in.
The soil here is sandy, just like sand dunes, with lava rocks mixed in. I have an area where I would love to put a LOT of bamboo, and it could just grow crazy. I have a front end loader to use as an edger. I have irrigation water that costs me $100 a year.
Do you think it would grow in this climate?
Steve

varieties or Phyllostachys bissetii or Phyllostachys rubromarginata. You can search for the varieties that you would like at http://www.bambooweb.info/SSL.php and if you have any question you can ask in the forum on that site.
Bill

corner of the state, Elv. 5,000, Purcell Mtn Range. I have no idea what kind it was but that stuff was...ummm...prolific! I had all the plant supports and bean poles I and all the surrounding gardeners needed. The Cub Scouts cut a mess of it for tent poles. If there's a bamboo that will grow there I'm sure something would do as well where you are. My neighbor kept in under control with his bulldozer when he came up every year to clear a fire barrier around my property. That swash of bamboo was about 150 ft long and about 10 or so feet wide.
Val

Thanks. I've been reading about it, and it seems bamboo is much more cold tolerant that I would have ever guessed.
Steve
[snip] I've been reading about it, and it seems bamboo is much more cold

the plant's characteristics --
Differences between clumping and running bamboo types, which also approximates the difference between temperate zone and subtropical zone species;
Growth habit -- particularly that it's only actively growing for a short period each year.
The first year you plant bamboo you'll probably see no growth above ground, and progressively more growth each following year --
The first year it sleeps The second year it creeps The third year it leaps --
JimR wrote:

And by the time you realize that it's leaping, it's completely out of control and headed to all your neighbor's property. Been next door to a bad neighbor that put in bamboo. :-( Took us years to finally get it all out. It's worse than kudzu or wisteria!! Any little root takes it upon it's self to get the war going!!
Tom J
Bamboo is sooooooooo invasive I'd advise against it. You will never be able to control it - or eraticate it when you decide it's spreading too fast. AND it likes a lot of water.
How about a nice hedge of Italian Cyprus? It grows fast, makes a terrific screen and it ahould be able to live off your rainfall alone after it is established.
Good luck!

Other than increasing the organic content of the soil where you want to grow the bamboo so that it retains moisture evenly I don't think you will have too many problems with members of the Phyllostachys genus. Manure, leaves, sawdust, grass clippings etc all will help.