Baker Creek

Went there Sunday. Did about four hours of pickin and singin. Had a great time, but it was HOT. I took three each two-liter frozen bottles of water and two smaller ones. They got me through the day. The speaker on seed saving did not show, or I had things mixed up. But, I have found resources on the web. There were many more exhibitors and sellers there than I expected, and the breeze over the south hill helped some. I picked up some sweet red onions and some hotter Italian garlic for my pasta sauce. I spent last wed and thurs boiling, peeling, and food processing about 120 tomatoes (they all ripened up at the same time) for the sauce. If I can work up the ambition, I will start it tomorrow. I got some hot sausage and I am going to use Pablano peppers in the sauce this year. I also picked up what I thought was bread and butter pickles. It was made with that type of spice and sliced onions, but with summer squash rather than with cukes. YUUMMMMM.

Those who have never been should make an effort to come to BC sometime.

Not only is it a place to get the finest heirloom seeds, but other stuff and the PEOPLE. You will find:

  1. Old unreconstructed hippies
  2. Bearded men in frock coats and stovepipe hats, being trailed by multiple, bonnet-headed wives.
  3. Cowboys
  4. Born again: a. vegans b. Christians c. Crystal Power People d. mountain (wo)men e. new somethings each visit
  5. Terribly relevant "I know the secret to happiness" folks

BUT......we all laugh at ourselves, giving us the right to laugh at and with others.

The young man who started this did so while in high school, on his bedroom computer. Ten years later, he is a zillionaire, and the John the Baptist of Heirloom seeds. He is an informed, intelligent, and very likable kid (27).

cheers

oz, who welcomes anyone going through to his 63 acre boonie place, built for guests inside Mark Twain NF

Reply to
MajorOz

Thanks for sharing this. I found it interesting and went to the web page. Sounds like it was a fun event! Maybe next year!

loony

Reply to
loonyhiker

pickled squash is good!

Sounds like you had a good time! We are heading out to the Shrimp Festival (Snead's Ferry village, NC) on Saturday. At the festival, you can eat all the shrimp you want (for a fee of course) & it's cooked every way you can imagine. Taking the kids to the festival parade, then hitting the water. I hate public beaches, so after the parade, we are taking the boat out to our own little "private" island in the bay. Might do a bit of netting off the boat while we are out. (don't worry, my (step)dad has his commercial license, so we will be fishing legally!) Will be both kids' first boat ride. Maybe them (& my hubby!) will enjoy it as much as I do....

Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson