Bagged a possum...

Well, opossum actually since this is the US. These Havahart traps work but I wish it had worked on the targeted ground hog instead of this 'possum;

's amusing is that there are supposedly large fines in NJ for relocating wild animals yet the police recommended that we just let it go beside a river. One person at Animal Control suggested that we take it to Mount something or another and let it go. Finally after much calling and complaining they sent someone to dispose of it.

I asked the person who came for it what he was going to do with it and he replied that standard procedure was to take it somewhere (probably Mt. something or another) and just let it go, which he did free of charge and brought back the trap.

Reply to
oparr

Nice picture. Prompted me to upload this:

Frank

We don't care if there are animals of any sort in our yard, but for the neighbor who is freaked out by snakes or any other living thing, we've caught it and put it down by the creek. Water is vitally important as food is close by if there is water.

Reply to
Jangchub

I generally relocate nuisance animals to an upscale neighborhood. There's more woods there anyway.

It's not as bad as it sounds, because a nuisance animal isn't necessarily a nuisance any longer if he can't locate a garden in his new habitat. The problem wasn't that he exists but that he found your garden.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

Incidentally, you can amuse yourself with a thought experiment : what happens when you catch a skunk in your havaheart trap?

You can't exactly walk up and carry the cage to the car trunk.

I could envision hooking the cage with a pole, and pulling into a cardboard box, shutting the box from the other end, and transporting the skunk plus trap in the box.

But then what at the other end?

You open the box, and pow!

Reply to
Ron Hardin

Before you put the Haveaheart out cover it with a cheap vinyl tablecloth and affix it in some way to the cage. Face the opening away from the direction you're approaching it, drop the front down to now cover the entire thing and quietly move it.

The reason I never like moving wildlife is due to territory, or the possibilities there are babies.

Reply to
Jangchub