Bad mail order company...buyer beware

A mail order company that everyone should be aware of here, and not use. That company is http://www.richfarmgarden.com
I know several people who have lost money to this company already. You can read about them also, with a negative rating, on the Indiana Better Business Bureau website.
Richard
Howdy Richard. I think you should be specific. WHY are you so peevish against this Winchester Indiana company? Generic "warnings" from a chap who has no posting history could for all we can tell be nothing but a disgruntled ex-employee & don't automatically carry a lot of weight, but if you've something specific I'm sure anyone who might be interested in Rich Farm Garden's products would appreciate being warned off. You can't be sued for slander if you're telling the truth, so no reason to hide.
If it's so important to you to warn people away from them, why code it for no-archive? Will the warning no longer apply two weeks from now? I've included the whole post sans no-archive code below, for archive purposes.
Since I didn't know if you were a reliable witness or not, I did a couple on-line searches of my own. If the company had been highly rated elsewhere I wanted to find out. But as it turns out, your warning looks entirely sustainable.
Their website does make them look a bit white trash posting amateurish snapshots of their grossly cluttered cruddy uninteresting barn as a wacky symbol of company pride -- if that's where they store the seeds they sell I'd worry about contamination -- that whole "barn tour" thing makes them look a bit nutty since it gives the impression that they're not a real business at all. Personally I wouldn't've trusted them just on the basis of their website being so damned ugly.
You're right that the Indiana Better Business Bureau doesn't think highly of them, though I wonder why you didn't yourself post the link or quote the BBB to help substantiate your own credibility:
"Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to unanswered complaints. The Bureau has requested basic information from this company. The company has declined to provide this information. Without this, the Bureau may not have current information concerning such things as the company's management or its nature of business."
BBB also notes "We are currently attempting to develop information on this company." So I trust you've sent something rather more specific to snipped-for-privacy@indybbb.org to help fill out their file -- you shouldn't complain to them anonymously though.
Rich Farm Gardens has no complaints at the very useful Garden Watchdog at davesgarden.com, except one person who felt their prices were too high for seeds (but bought them anyway so I guess theprice was not TOO too high). Garden Watchdog is a good source of this kind of information, but customers can't file praise OR complaints if the company actually has no customers.
Gardenweb.com has one complaint in the Forums: "I placed an order with them early in January. They never came. I emailed them in March and they responded telling me my seeds would be shipped in March. I never received any. I have emailed them twice since then politely asking when my seeds would be shipped and have not received any response."
-paghat the ratgirl
Newsgroups: rec.gardens Subject: Bad mail order company...buyer beware Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 06:15:30 -0700 Organization: Freescale Lines: 8
NNTP-Posting-Host: rpcs30-01.am.freescale.net Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Trace: az33news01.freescale.net 1116422020 22832 10.69.72.218 (18 May 2005 13:13:40 GMT) X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@freescale.com NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:13:40 +0000 (UTC) X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.93/32.576 English (American) Xref: sn-us rec.gardens:585961 X-Cache: nntpcache 2.4.0b5 (see http://www.nntpcache.org /)
A mail order company that everyone should be aware of here, and not use. That company is http://www.richfarmgarden.com
I know several people who have lost money to this company already. You can read about them also, with a negative rating, on the Indiana Better Business Bureau website.
Richard
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
I myself have ordered from them, and lost $36. Never received the plants, never received my money back. They took the funds out on my credit card but never put it back. I'm on may garden lists and forums. In 6 months I've seen 4 other complaints. I cannot help it that the other person's did not choose to file a complaint with the BBS or deal with it.
Look, I'm just trying to warn people. I really don't care whether you believe me or not. That is your choice. Go ahead order from them. See what happens. But don't say I didn't warn you.
Richard
On Wed, 18 May 2005 08:39:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) wrote:

Richard wrote:

You lost $36? Didn't you dispute the charge with your credit card issuer? If you did, why did the card issuer not reverse the charge?
--
Warren H.

==========
Yes, of course I did, and they have put the money back in my account. But that is not what I was complaining about. I was complaining about the service provided by this company.
Richard

Yes, but you said you "lost $36." Sounds like you lost temporary use of it, not the money itself. Just pointing out the clarification, not saying you didn't go through a lot of agravation while they were using your money.
Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

Yes, but not being out $36 means you didn't "lose" it.

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

It's always a good idea to purchase mail order with a credit card that protects the buyer from crooks. If that protection works, the crooks are still crooks.
So Richard definitely lost $36 to the bad mail order company. What the credit card company did afterward doesn't change the fact that he lost $36 to the bad mail order company. Just like if a doctor stiched up your rear end after you got a stab wound you got from a thug (or from a frustrated individual you kept arguing with irrationally). The thug or individual DID still stab you whether or not it got fixed up & healed; the doctor didn't change history by saving your ass.
But do go ahead & post for the umpteenth time that he waddn't either.
-paghat the ratgirl

http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Richard wrote:

So you put the charge in dispute and got your money back right?

USDA Zone 8