Bacteria on "seasoned" cast iron pans

All my life I have heard that with cast iron frying pans, you never wash them with soap, you just wipe them with a paper towel, and put them away until they are needed. I personally find that absolutely repulsive. In fact thats worse than a bachelor I once met who never washed his dinner plate, he just wiped off any solids, and stuck it in the fridge till his next meal.

The oils, animal fats, and who knows what else is on that cast iron pan is a breeding ground for bacteria, and God only knows what else. On top of that, the greasyness attracts mice, insects, and dust from the air will stick to it. Absolutely repulsive!!!!

Hey, I listened to the so called "experts" on this subject. I gave it a try some 40+ years ago, and I will admit that food did not stick to it (most of the time), but I always felt like I was eating food contaminated with filth. Even if I heated the pan prior to placing food in it, and heating to a temperature which will kill any bacteria, the thought of eating dead bacteria, minute bits and pieces of old meals from weeks ago, possible insect and rodent droppings, and if nothing else, rancid oil, was enough to ruin every meal I cooked on it.

I began washing these pans with soap, water, and brillo pads. That's when I found the food sticking terribly, and sometimes even some rust. I finally gave them to a friend who goes camping regularly and said they work best on a campfire. Then I bought myself some teflon coated pans, which have since been replaced by enamel coated cookware like those often advertised on tv.

While cast iron is probably the most durable cookware made, it requires far too much work to keep it seasoned, but even putting aside the work, it's disgusting and repulsive. It may have worked well for cooks in the

19th century, we have since learned a lot about health, disease, and bacteria, and cast iron is not a healty type of cookware.
Reply to
gilfentoby

Heat up the pan before using. Bacteria gone.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

====================

"the thought of eating dead bacteria"

Reply to
Ophelia

That thought has always bothered me too. I'm not a fan of eating dead bacteria. Keep in mind too that some leave behind toxins so even that might not be so fun to eat.

Reply to
Gary

Cast iron is probably the LEAST durable cookware made, it can rust away in less than a lifetime... earthenware is far more durable, will survive thousands of years. Aluminum will easily outlast cast iron. Stainless steel will last as long as earthenware, probably much longer.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Oh bullshit.... enough said.

Reply to
Dave Smith

He's so greasy, you wouldn't think he'd ever have rust problems.

Reply to
Jeßus

LOL

Reply to