Baby hawk

A baby hawk born in the backyard has changed my gardens. Currently he is perched on a blueberry netting support watching for pond frogs. Earlier he was on my driveway failing to catch a lizard. He cries often and mama hawk brings him a snake which he swallows whole. My garden gate has become a dining table covered with varmint blood! The other day the baby hawk tried eating a zucchini! Started seeing the baby hawk using a telescope high up in a pine tree, two months ago. Nice to see first hand how a red-shouldered hawk grows up. Got several pics and more if anyone interested. I am amazed how many snakes have been eaten and whenever I mention it, 9 out 10 times women say "Good!" The parents starting building the nest last year but finally had success this year with a single chick.

Reply to
Phisherman

There are 2 baby hawks in and out of our rear yard every day. It's all wooded with ground shrubbery, so no problem. They are catching mostly chipmunks :-) gray squirrels :-) and occasionally a dove. :-( We have a total of around 12 to 16 hawks that live in a 1/2 mile of our property, so sometimes we can see 3 different species within minutes of each other.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J