Azaleas hate me

Some thrive, some don't, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. But on to my current disaster. Typical stress, or worse, indicators are droppy leaves, first in one section but now spreading. Water is not the issue. It's planted in peat moss, which is the same as I've used for the azaleas that are doing well. Gets virtually no sun. Is there anything that can be done to give it a chance to survive? Redlands, CA.
Peat moss is not soil.
On 6 Aug 2005 14:07:24 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net"

More it to a cooler climate.
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

What's your soil like? It needs to be somewhat sandy and acidic. Also, don't dig around the plants because they're shallow rooted. And mulching with pine needle is a good idea.
Patrick

If the wilting azaleas were recently planted (this would be entirely the wrong time of year to plant them) they wouldn't have had time to set out roots before the summer heat arrived & shrivelled them right up. If it is extremely hot & with low humidity, even if in partial shade they could be suffering from the untimely planting, as the root system is not well enough established to keep ahead of moisture loss from the leaves.
In Redlands you could safely plant azaleas in autumn, winter, or early spring. They cannot be so safely planted in late spring or in summer where summers are hot.

You mean a percentage of peatmoss mixed in the soil?? If planted in peatmoss it would have no nutrients to sustain itself.

A few azaleas are genuinely shade shrubs, but usually BRIGHT shade, & the majority would want full sun part of the day or most of the morning. Even those that thrive for foliage in shade won't set buds for the following year's flowering. If your "successes" with no sun at all are less than two years in the ground, then they probably bloomed from buds that were set the year before you planted them, & they'll not bloom as well again while in such deep shade.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html