azaleas blooming in November?

Not the encore variety.

In the neighborhood a lot of azaleas are partially blooming.

Enough in my yard that i have an arrangement on the table.

Of course, their big blooming season is early spring.

Anyone else around Zone 7a seen this?

FACE

Reply to
FACE

We are getting this also in Pennsylvania with our rhododendrons. Some of those trying to bloom are: Lavender Queen, Kelley, and Wilsonii. This happens to some extent most years. Since rhododendrons and azaleas form their flower buds in the spring after blooming, they are set and ready to open in the late fall but hopefully will wait until the next spring. Some are easily tricked by weather conditions into blooming early.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Agreed that it happens to *some* extent every year. An odd bloom here and there. Usually this happens when it has been freezing for a week or so and warms up -- sort of a short (false) winter idea. Not the case this year. Hasn't been freezing or in the 30s yet.

Like I mention there is enough to have an arrangement on the table. (holding up real well too! :-))

FACE

Reply to
FACE

I have a few flowers on the PJM rhody this week, & it had a very few flowers open in October too. There other rhodies producing a single flower, such as on "Poukhahense Compacta," but nothing approaching full bloom except on our "Lee's Best Purple" which has a second bloom period every year (though it's not supposed to) just so long as there's not a premature freeze to wreck the flowers half-opened. This potential to bloom at least tepidly in the wrong season can be enhanced by fertilizing in autumn, which shouldn't be done since rhodies are at greater risk of winter damage if not properly dormant.

There are also some daffodils putting up grass prematurely, which I hope doesn't interfer with their blooming properly next spring. Last autumn was unusually cold, & this autumn is unusually warm; still, it doesn't seem like our weather patterns this year have been spectacularly odd, & plants shouldn't be confused what season it is, but some are.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

FACE expounded:

I had forsythias blooming last month here in 6a

Reply to
Ann

Reply to
Sterling

yes, here in zone 5 NY, my azaleas started to bloom again in early October and I think they're just about to the end now. Wonder why this is happening this year?

Reply to
Marg

well, in my case, my Encore IS blooming, but so is part of my Pawlonia tree..........and that is NOT normal. And I noticed along the country roads going to and from that the April wild white daisies are blooming. And to add further ponder to the season's unseasonable actions............this is the THIRD day in a row that I have seen COYOTE out in broad daylight, almost smacked into deer in broad daylight, and noticed that this is the fattest I've EVER seen the woodchucks, possom's and skunks since living here.............I have a feeling Mom's Nature is just winding up her curve ball............................. madgardener whose Eucharis grandiflora is blooming for the fifth time this year! up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener

yes...and so is my winter Jessamine, 1 dogwood, 4 spring azaleas, forsythia, and my roses have gone nuts all over again..........Ma Natures way of letting us see now because the real bloom time is going to be a loooonnnnnggg way away.....

Reply to
KCnRichmond

I have a potted 'Inga' on my front walk. It's been in bloom for a month now!

Reply to
David Ross