Azalea Question

I have a small dwarf azalea. It's been established about 3 years. The long, late freeze we had really took a toll on it. No blossoms, leaves all died and fell off. Well, it's coming back pretty strong. What I want to do is put it in one of those large, all weather pots to put on the patio. I'm in zone 5. I researched the Azalea Society website and really did not find an answer to my question. I might have missed it. Can I take the plant from the ground and put it into a pot this time of year or should I wait until next spring? If I can, is there anything special I need to do to ensure it a comfortable transplant?
Michael
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf

This is a great time of year to transplant it. Biff
I would wait until fall. then it has the winter to establish roots before growing. Ingrid

Hi Michael,
Azaleas can be moved any time of year. It is easiest when the plants are dormant, or at least not growing actively. Since your plant is stressed now, I would wait until fall. They are much easier to bloom when the are healthy. Yours is recovering from the shock an apparent late freeze and maybe a winter drought. Make sure the pot has good drainage. Drainage is the most important thing with azaleas. Also, do not plant it deeper than it is now when you move it. It is better to plant it a little higher, but not deeper.