Azalea Question

I have a small dwarf azalea. It's been established about 3 years. The long, late freeze we had really took a toll on it. No blossoms, leaves all died and fell off. Well, it's coming back pretty strong. What I want to do is put it in one of those large, all weather pots to put on the patio. I'm in zone 5. I researched the Azalea Society website and really did not find an answer to my question. I might have missed it. Can I take the plant from the ground and put it into a pot this time of year or should I wait until next spring? If I can, is there anything special I need to do to ensure it a comfortable transplant?

Michael

Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

it:

-remove "foodie" to email

This is a great time of year to transplant it. Biff

Reply to
jmckelv

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

Hi Michael,

Azaleas can be moved any time of year. It is easiest when the plants are dormant, or at least not growing actively. Since your plant is stressed now, I would wait until fall. They are much easier to bloom when the are healthy. Yours is recovering from the shock an apparent late freeze and maybe a winter drought. Make sure the pot has good drainage. Drainage is the most important thing with azaleas. Also, do not plant it deeper than it is now when you move it. It is better to plant it a little higher, but not deeper.

Reply to
Stephen Henning