Avoiding the dangers of Roundup

Page 1 of 2
Hello,
I am hoping someone can give me some valuable info here. We are about to move to a farmhouse that has a canola farm which surrounds us almost entirely. The farmer uses Roundup. I have heard about the dangers of Roundup - particularly to pregnant women. I am wondering what we can do to prevent ourselves from exposure. We would get water via a well. Should we avoid it? We also have 3 cats that we wanted to let roam outside. Is this a bad idea?
Thank you.
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:30:25 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'd like to know the name of the farm, so I can avoid buying canola oil made from their produce (if possible to isolate from other sources).
Or better still, pay the high cost of organic canola oil!
Persephone
what is more to worry about is that the crops are genetically modified/engineered to be "roundup ready" so the roundup can be poured on and not affect the crops. Ingrid
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:44:06 -0700, Persephone wrote:

how much oil do people use? I am wondering because we get these tiny bottles of stuff and toss most of it when it begins to smell off. then again, we dont deep fry anything. Ingrid
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:44:06 -0700, Persephone wrote:

not sure myself whether you should avoid it however if you are worried about drinking water you can set up a drinking water system using run off from your roof.
rob

If your new place's adjoining garden has healthy plants growing in it, that suggests it's not being hit by Roundup weedkiller spray drift fall-out. Grass in particular is very sensitive to Roundup drift. However, the farmer may also be applying insecticide spray, whose effects don't show up so obviously but could be far more worrying. So on spray days I'd certainly stay indoors with the windows shut, and not hang out the washing to dry.
We would get water

But the roof is equally a collection system for spray particles, which would wash down into the watersystem.
Janet.

Thanks Janet. Yes, there is lots of vegetation in the yard and a massive lawn, so that's a good sign.
On spray days - how long would we need to stay away? Could the wind blow it around for days afterwards, or does it soak in immediately? It's a 150 acre farm, almost entirely surrounding us. (We're in Ontario, BTW).
I think we'll get the water tested before we use it.
Thanks alot for your help,
Darryl

Is it safe to assume that you had your well water tested by a lab so far away from your future home that it's unlikely anyone at the lab was related to the farmer through blood, politics or business?
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:30:25 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If the farmer follows all of the procedures specified by the law and policies of your area (you did not tell us where you are) then you should have no problem. That may or may not be a big "if".
I would contact the farmer and express my concern. Ask him what pesticides he uses and what his procedures are. Ask him to notify you on days that he will be using pesticides near your home so that you can personally monitor the application. If your monitoring gives you concern then address them with him and the local agricultural authorities.
All of the farmers that I know in my area, (southern NH) would welcome such a discourse with their neighbors and would be as concerned as you.
JMHO
John

And you believe this because? Big chemical told you so? They have nothing to lose if they tell the truth, now, do they?

unsustainability of the pesticides they are using. There are plenty of farmers nowadays, especially in the Northeast, that are successfully pulling in crops without using Roundup at all.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

That's a good thought. Maybe he'd be interested in changing his methods.
Thanks,
Darryl
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

John Bachman didn't mention that he is an "Integrated Pest Management" consultant. In my experience with him in this NG, he has been objective and honest in his opinions.
Oh, you may want to ease in slowly on telling a farmer how to farm or at least, leave your motor running.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Yeah right, Billy. Applying glysphospate "as specified by law"...
Who do you think paid to get those laws written, my friend?
Charlie

You be in a pissy mood today, dawg. You know I don't want no 'cides, or industrial effluents, or whiz bang pharmaceuticals around me.
Didn't say that I ALWAYS agree with John. I just be doin' that "men of good will" thing 'bout disagreein'. You know the one, dawg. I've see nuthin' to indicate that John ain't a "man of good will". Don't mean the man can walk on water though.
Where are the grand kids? You got too much energy.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Heh heh........gleaned that, eh? Just wandered in and had a sharp stick in me paw and started pokin' away. You know what is said...".Watch out Opas carrying pointy sticks", or something like that.

Yes, I have noticed. I am trying myself to at least be polite when disagreein' instead of gettin' all eff you and back of the bus and stuff......but it is hard, Billy, oh so very hard, ya' know?
Things are gettin' just too damned polite round these hyar parts when it comes to the polluters and the poisoners and such.......let alone all the.........oh, never mind.
sigh......I shall follow your lead, given your advanced years and accumulation of wisdom and apparent christmas spirit. Maybe it's the bucket of margaritas you found that imbued this aura of benevolence.

The grands left, spent a couple days the both of them, and I headed online to see what was up. Read a batch of really cheery news, had to shut down the 'puter for a bit as a really wicked T'storm shot thru here and I don't need a fried modem....no time for disruptions of *that* sort, you know. They leave me felling recharged and with a renewed sense of porpoise.
Seriously, when the grandboys are around I do get really pissy after they leave......thinking about what we have done to those little guys......GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. But I keep my realism to myself and behave as I should when in the presence of their innocence. THough if we all live long enough, I have some things to teach them!
Number One already knows about poison and what constitutes good food.
He is four.
Carefully Charlie.....now listening to Floyd...."The Wall"

You pin headed little twerp. Whose in advanced years? I used to be older but I'm much younger now, thank you very much. 'Twas the day when rapscallions like you would be taken out back of the wood shed.
Sounds like Number 1 has a head on his shoulders, your son must have married well.
Keep your left up, and keep counter punching. Don't they know who they are fightin'?
Hang in dawg,
--
FB - FFF

Billy

LOL!!
"Bring it on" ~GWB .....(I'm running for cover now! Where's that damned log????)

Wahhhhhh...you really are feeling yer oats tonite, you old stud!

Heh......couple old brawlers we be with likely some Scots blood in common....way, way back in the day.

Hangin' in and crawlin' back on.
You hang on a bit longer......break is coming. Time for tales round the fire and study and a bit more brawlin'!
Charlie

Dang, always did have a soft spot for you whippersnapper. Take care of your self and listen to your "lovely". A nice little brawl would be nice though. Which reminds me, what you doin' up so late for? No, don't respond, the lovey-poo is waiting for me too. Go to bed.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Thanks for the kind words Billy but you do not have it quite right. I am a small farmer who uses integrated pest management techniques. That is it. The only consulting I do is expressing opinions on the news group and answering questions put to me by friends and family.
I get dismayed when people immediately assume that the farmer who uses pesticides and evil being intent on destroying the earth. In my experience nothing could be further from the truth.
All of the farmers I meet at the numerous seminars and classes that we all intend to improve our knowledge and skills are very concerned with the proper application of controls, be they organic or chemical.
Notably, both types of farmers attend these seminars, which are usually run by the agricultural extension service, and exchange views. Often the seminar will occur at a farm which may be organic or not. Again both types of farmers attend and are interested in the techniques used on that farm.
Farmers are business people who make their living and provide for their families by farming. They are interested in the most economical methods of operation and surely want to avoid anything that would be detrimental to the continuing success of their enterprise. Excessive and misdirected use of any product is contrary to their goals so it does not happen except by accident and such accidents are usually quickly investigated resulting in corrective action.
These farmers are constantly on the lookout for techniques that will make them more efficient. Qualified labor is a scarce and therefore valuable commodity. The farmer spends the labor available to him as wisely as possible. He must because market pressures put a limit on the value of his products. That is how the free market system works and the farmer lives by those rules or goes under.
John

My error, and my apology for miss characterizing you but I still respect your knowledge and honesty. In your response about the use of "Round-up" you put in a very large "if". Personally, I hate these chemicals and that gives me a reflex reaction against them. You help me understand why a person may rationally wish to use them or not. It gives me balance, and I still hate them, but I respect your opinion.
I wish you luck because I don't believe it is a free market. It seems that today, for a farmer to survive, he must find a niche market that isn't worth the trouble for big agra.
Again my apologies for not listening more closely.
--
FB - FFF

Billy