Autumn Blaze Red Maple with no leaves-help!

Hello.
I purchased and planted an Autumn Blaze Red Maple on 5/28/05, and to date, there hasn't been a single leaf growing on this tree. There are tiny buds, but that is it.
I have the one-year swapout option on it, but I didn't want to do that if it is just a late bloomer.
I live in Zion, IL (near the Wisconsin border). The soil has about 2" of topsoil and then it is clay. I followed the directions on the label exactly (didn't plant too deep, size of hole, etc.)
What I wanted was a shade tree during the summer, and then I wanted the color in the fall. But right now, the only "shade" I am getting from it is from the branches sticking up in the air.
Is this a keeper?? Is it dead, or just hibernating??
Thanks for any help!
John

I say its dead. You should contact the nursery where you bought and see what they think.
Hi John
Swapout that tree for one that is in leaf. Dead trees have no leaves.
Derryl, Calgary