Automatic Watering

Hi,
My query is simple really. I have twenty pots in my garden containing a variety of plants all of which require regular watering. They pots range in diameter from about 9" to 18". I am looking or an automatic watering system that will do the job while I'm on holidays and maybe even when I at home to save me the trouble of watering them myself. I have looked at a few possibilities from a "Hozelock" timed watering "pod" system to a gentle soaking system called "Blumat" by a company I think called "Tropf" utilizing a cone inserted into the compost.
I have no experience of any system and would welcome advise from anyone who has used either of these or other automatic watering systems.
Thanks in advance.
Jay.
a rainbird to turn the water off and on. then pvc pipe down the pots, drill a tiny hole for each pot for drip and use a cheap valve to turn the flow way way down. Ingrid

I've used variations on Raindrip systems for about 20 years now. It consists of small diameter tubing (0.25") that can be connected to a hose bibb, and from that can be connected drippers of various types, with drip amounts varying from about 0.25 gallons (approx 1 liter) to 2.5 gallons per hour. Choose the dripper based on the size of the pot and the water needs of the plant. Connect the whole system to a "water timer" that has a solenoid that opens to allow water into the system for a preset interval, and you've got a fairly decent automatic watering system. The big issues are quality of the water (sand or very hard water can block the drippers), reliability of the water timer, and initial set up, which for 20 pots, would probably take me about an hour. I prefer the drippers that can be taken apart for cleaning -- Raindrip's design is called a "flag dripper".
Because the water is going directly onto the soil, and not onto the plant, you tend to have fewer problems with fungal diseases, and there's little wastage of water, as you might have with a sprayer system.
Here's a website with more information: http://www.raindrip.com /
A suitable water timer: http://www.dripdepot.com/1006.html?id=tUYEBaiL
I'm guessing you're not in the US, so you may have to shop around to find something similar; perhaps you can find something similar from a maker of greenhouse drip watering systems.
Kay