Atlanta's Ivy

I recently visited Atlanta, Georgia and liked the looks of all the ivy growing in the yards. Especially on the hillsides, as my north Florida home has some hills and shady areas I'd like to cover up. I took a few cuttings from an Atlanta city park and now have them soaking in a glass of water.
What type of ivy is it?
Should I plant this ivy in my yard?
Will it grow here in north Florida?
Is this ivy invasive?
Answers/opinions are appreciated.
Patrick

If it's kudzu, you probably committed a crime. http://www.yahoolavista.com/kudzu /

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/pumo1.htm

I know what Kudzu is; it's not Kudzu. It looks like an English Ivy.
Patrick

I don't know what kind of ivy was growing in Atlanta, but I put in Boston Ivy in a mounded shady area under my azaleas and it has done well to provide the whole area with ground cover -- central Florida. I also once had a home in Prattville, AL that had a large front yard that was all pine trees and Boston ivy, and never needed mowing (I occasionally lopped errant pieces that started to climb a tree or meander into the driveway). I think that in the shade, Boston Ivy or something similar should do very well.