Astilbe

After the frost has brown the leaves, can they be cut back and if so...to how far above the soil level?
thanks

Yes, right down to the ground but it is not necessary. I generally leave mine until early spring clean up. If you live in a cold climate, mulch over the crown.
pam - gardengal

so...to
over
I live in zone 3 and I don't even mulch mine. It is in a protected spot though but it is very hardy. Last yr I lost a lot of plants due to very deep freeze and very little snow, even the plants I diligently mulch - but the astilbe survived. Never cut it back either. Do remove flower heads for seed..