Asparagus (Bill)

Sounds like your Dad planted his asparagus crowns the right way. My problem is I only have a 4'x12' area to work with for all 35 crowns. With three rows planted in that small area, they would only be about a foot apart in all directions. I could run a long straight single row right down the border line between my property and the neighbors but the only problem with that is when the asparagus goes into ferns. They would be hanging in the neighbors yard and cause him problems while trying to mow his lawn. This is why I would like to put 3 rows into a single wide bed to keep the ferns away from the neighbors property. If I did it this way, the bed would be a good five foot away from the property line. The bed would be at the north end of my yard and would run in a east to west direction. It would be rectangle in shape.

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

I am coming in late on this so I am sorry if this has already been said. I see no problem with the crowns being about one foot apart. If your soil is rich and well maintained you can plant closer than recommended distances and not get significant reduction of yield due to root competition. They will tend to fill the area where they are planted anyway so you will always get sun competition. In the end it is the area that you have and the sunlight not the number of plants that will limit production. The bed will be much better if it runs north-south otherwise the row on the polar side will get too little sun and be stunted, this could be a problem. The main thing with asparagus is to feed them well (I prefer manure) every year and to water them in the growing season especially if it is hot.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott