asparagus bamboo?

I got a plant from the local nursery today. The stems, culms and leaves are bamboo in configuration, except that they are smaller. The plant is also vining, with a habitus much like an asparagus. Does anybody have an idea what plant this might be? I tried google searches for "asparagus bamboo" but all results(!) return 33 pages of vegetable websites' indexes ".....asparagus, bamboo....."

Thanks in advance!

Frankie

Reply to
Frankie V. Fernandez, MD

What did the nursery say it was? Bamboo comes in all sizes so how can you say it is smaller than bamboo?

Reply to
Travis

Its those habitus that get you every time.

Asparagus is a very large genus but I get the impression your plant might actually be a Ruscus.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

You may view some pics here. Sorry if they are a bit dim.

don't think it's a bamboo species. Unfortunately, I bought it at a roadside nursery and the seller doesn't have an idea either.

Frankie

Reply to
Frankie V. Fernandez, MD

Looks like Ruscus aculeatus.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Hello again Cereus-validus and the rest of you guys and gals!

I saw some flower buds days ago and waited for them to open up. Well, they did open up for a few hours early in the evening. White colored, with three petals and three sepals. Around the single stigma is a hairy "cup" (don't know how else to describe it). There is no scent. Sorry about the pics. They were taken at night indoors.

Look at pics 5-8. Thanks!

Frankie

Reply to
Frankie V. Fernandez, MD

Turns out the plant is even more strange than a Ruscus.

The fringed petals show it to be Eustrephus latifolius, the "Wombat Berry" of Australia!!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Wow! That's it. Thanks again!

Reply to