Asparagus

Page 1 of 2
Some info and a question:
Info: I have some asparagus seed (UC157) that has been in my fridge for 10 years old. Put it on paper towel kept damp 3 weeks ago and have more than 50% sprouted with more looking probable. Wow!
Question: I also have some mature plants fron the same original batch of seed, that I want to divide & move at the end of the season. Any advice on this, and on how soon I can reasonably harvest from the relocated plants, would be welcome.
Thanks, Alexander Miller.
snipped-for-privacy@home.net wrote:

If you are over 50 or like to eat asparagus, I would just eat the sprouts and buy serious rhizomes.
If you have runty little shoots to plant, you might save a year or two.
We have done both and it was a waste of time.
When we moved out to the country, we bought the biggest, most expensive rhizomes we could find and ate a few nice big stalks the first year. After that it was more than we could eat ever since.
I just took some pics of our asparagus patch for a future Photo of the Week. We have been harvesting for about a week now (Northern Illinois) and stop on June 1 to let it build up for next year.
This is without a doubt the crown jewel of our garden. We pig out on the stuff and pickle what we can't eat. It is a waste of good asparagus to freeze it. We have omelets for breakfast and roast it for dinner and tonite it was asparagus cheese crepes.
Can't wait for breakfast,
js
|If you are over 50 or like to eat asparagus, I would just eat the |sprouts and buy serious rhizomes.
Haha - you must be expecting a short life. I'm 70. Im very happy with the plants I've raised from seed, and hope to enjoy raising more. To each his/her own, I guess.
| It is a waste of good asparagus to freeze it.
We consider it a waste to do anything other than eat it raw. Can't imagine what it would be like after freezing then thawing. Yuk. But to each his/her own.
So what do you know about dividing and/or moving mature plants?
snipped-for-privacy@home.net wrote:

Right. I raised ferns from spores and it was years before they were big enough even to put out.
How long did it take from seed say.... 3/4" shoots?

I agree but can't convince my wife of that but she came up with the method of roasting in butter in the toaster oven which is a mighty fine alternative.

Absolutely nothing other than, don't mess with a good thing.
Ours is not spreading very much but jest seems to get denser each year.
js
|Right. I raised ferns from spores and it was years before they were big |enough even to put out.
Spores? I've used roots (rhizomes?) & seeds but I don't know beans about spores.
|How long did it take from seed say.... 3/4" shoots?
That's 3 to 4 inch, not three quarters, haha? A year I think but of course you don't harvest them for at least a couple of years. If you plant seed you'll be just a year behind where you would be if you planted one-year-old roots - duh :) or two years behind two-year-olds which is what I think most nurseries sell.
|Ours is not spreading very much but jest seems to get denser each year. I do too; AND I'm spreading quite a bit.

Could you be just a tad less conspicuous in front of the drooling masses? - Bill Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

[...]
Hey, Bill, put me out of my misery.
I tried to look up "cloribus" in my battered old Latin dictionary, but no luck, and no Latinist, I. I assume it's a declined form? Of what?
Por favor?
Persephone

O Gott, o Gott, As promised, a new mistake. Coloribus gustibus non disputatum ( Of colors and taste, you can't dispute). People like what they like and it isn't open to logical debate.
I got tired of typing it, so I just cut and paste it now. Of course it just had to have a typo in it. Well, hopefully, that is my humility lesson for the day and it is out of the way now.
Thanks for the catch.
In article

Latin words free.
http://users.erols.com/whitaker/words.htm
Download a free Latin-English-Latin dictionary program for your PC or MAC.
This Latin dictionary program, (WORDS for the PC - DOS, Windows 95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP, OS/2, LINUX - and Mac OS X - console version), takes keyboard input or a file of Latin text lines and provides an analysis/morphology (declension, conjugation, case, tense, etc.) of each word individually, the dictionary form, and the translation (meaning).
Have Fun
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
William Wagner wrote:

The link to Peter Lewis' site is dead. I've downloaded Matt Neuberg's file, but don't know where to go from here. Can't have much faith in a site that spells Mac as MAC.....
--
john mcwilliams

illegitmate non carborundum est..... my memory, which guarantees it's

try http://users.erols.com/whitaker/wordsmac.htm
Works for me.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Us "Left Coasters" just love our Macs. But you Bill. Couldn't you just divert your eyes or something instead of patronizingly offering me a dictionary;-)
My corn is calling.
Bis bald, - Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
The message

Not quite. Your Latin grammar is even worse than your Latin spelling.
De coloribus et de gustibus non est disputandum.
Castigat ridendo mores.
Janet
De rebus non disputanda (or words to that effect):
What has been started here? No good will come of this. When I referred to this as a gardening FORUM, I didn't expect .......
Caesar's Ghost

The Spanish Inquisition? Nobody expects . . .
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!
(If you can read this sign, you can get a good job in the fast-paced, high-paying world of Latin!)
- Bill Yada yada yada

Vah! Denuone latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.
Janet.
De rebus non disputanda (or words to that effect):
What has been started here? No good will come of this. When I referred to this as a gardening FORUM, I didn't expect .......
Caesar's Ghost
(Sorry, this is double posted.)
On 4/25/07 12:28 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "Jack

I'm headed to your house to eat!
snipped-for-privacy@home.net wrote:

I had an asparagus bed for about 30 years. The heavy rains in the winter of 2004-2005 caused the plants to rot. However, they dropped seeds. We picked our first crop from the seedlings this year.
If you divide a clump, you should treat both the relocated plants and those kept in the original location as if they were freshly planted from bare-root crowns. If your winters are severe, wait until spring; otherwise, divide in the fall or winter. Plant them in holes or trenches with the crowns about 6-8 inches below normal ground level. Cover the crowns with about 2 inches of soil, leaving the remaining soil mounded next to the planting hole with the hole unfilled. When the shoots appear in the spring, slowly add the mounded soil back into the hole without covering the growing tips.
Do not harvest that first year. In following years, harvest until the new shoots become thin. In the second year, you might harvest 4-6 weeks. After then, the harvest period might be 8-10 weeks.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
|I had an asparagus bed for about 30 years. The heavy rains in the |winter of 2004-2005 caused the plants to rot. However, they dropped |seeds. We picked our first crop from the seedlings this year.
They self-seeded? Nifty!
Thanks for the info on dividing & re-planting the roots. What can you tell me about the actual technique of dividing: Where & how to cut, what size divisions etc. Or will it be obvious when I dig them up?
I'm on Vancouver Island - zone 7 trending towards 8.
Alexander Miller.