Asparagus

When can I mow down my Asparagus plants. I want to rototill the surface about two inches to get rid of the weeds, and then fertilize and cover for the winter.
Ed, I try to wait until the middle of winter. Then I burn it off. The ashes help the asparagus and the fire kills any seeds waiting to germinate. If you rototill it, you will bury the seeds and will need to use a pre-emergent in the spring.
Another trick that worked was to cover the asparagus spears in the spring, with paper cups, and spray the bed with round up. If you are bothered with crabgrass, use a crabgrass killer like Over The Top".
Dwayne

Ed Schmitt wrote:

You can remove the ferns when they turn yellow. However, be careful with the rototilling; you could easily damage the crowns. It'd be better to weed and till by hand.
Chris Owens