Asiatic Lily (Corns/Corms?)

Hi All

I am about the cut back my Asiatic Lily and noticed there are some new growth coming from the stem and leaves, are they called corns or corms?

I did see something on this on BBC Gardeners World about re-planting them but cannot find anything anywhere.

As you can probably tell I am new to gardening.

Can anyone help?

Thank You Steph

Reply to
StephGarden

I wait until the lilies have died completely back then dig the bulb in late fall and carefully separate the bulblet and replant. These babies seem to take 2-3 years before they start blooming. I don't know if this is the 'right way' to do this but it works for me.

Val

Reply to
Val

I think they are immature bulbs. If you remove them carefully so as to avoid damaging the base, they can be planted in flower pots.

Don't expect any flowers the first growing season. After that season, actual bulbs will have formed. They can then be moved into the ground.

Reply to
David E. Ross

The growths on the stem at the base of the leaves are called bulbils and are just one more way that some lilies have of reproducing. Basically when they are ready to be planted they will start dropping on their own or will just fall off into your fingers when you touch them. The wild tiger lilies of North America seem to one that spread largely by bulbils -- they will cover large areas when they find suitable locations. Oddly, one favored location seems to be ditches along country roads.

Take a look at this:

John McGaw