ASAIN PEARS self-fruitfull?

I planted one asian pear tree on my backyard. Its variety is unknown, but definitely not 20-century because I have a 20-century pear planted last year , the leaf physically looks slightly different than the one in question.

My questions are:

  1. without knowing its variety, is asian pear in general self-fruitfull?
  2. Is/are there any ways to figure out its real variety? I asked the nursery where I bought it originally, they appeared to give me conflicting answers.

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
jimmy_sayavong

In general, not self-fruitful. Best way to determine variety will be from the fruit, beware there are lots of varieties to which you will have to compare! Size shape ,russeting, color, and texture of fruit will all be good indicators. Leaves are not.

Reply to
Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

The unknow variety mentioned finally nailed down to three's (based on what available at my local nursery at the time of purchased. These are: HOSUI, SHINKO, SHINSEKI.

Does any of the three varieties above cross-pollinated with my existing 20-century pear tree?

Thanks,

Reply to
jimmy_sayavong

Shinseiki is known to cross well with 20th century (aka Nijisseiki). Both are yellow-skinned, white fleshed pears of good to excellent quality. Hosui and Shinko are a good pair that will cross with each other and have bronze, russeted skin. If both of your pears bloom at the same time, chances are excellent that they will cross pollinate regardless of variety. The three you mentioned should have bloom times that overlap 20th Century, which is a late-season bloomer.

Reply to
Elizabeth