are they safe?

Page 1 of 2
Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?
I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.
--
habitat

Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is deep.
--
- Billy
In article

I guess I killed Banter. Biggest problem I can think of is chlorinated water.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

In a pond?
--
- Billy
In article

Sure if you have city water.
http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2007/04/aquarium-water-conditioners . html
I have well water no chlorine no chemicasl no filter just an air stone and frequent water removal. Pond is over 35 years old.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

When I think pond, I'm thinking a hole in the ground, or are we talkin' a gentrified, plug-in kind of a deal? Even with city water, if the addition is small enough, though pr'aps continuous, I don't see a problem. The above site does have a conflict of interest in giving information, and trying to make a profit at the same time. Kinda like Northrup-Grumann, and Lockheed Martin opining about national security.
--
- Billy
In article

Many ways to make a pond I chose poured concrete. Some go with a plastic liner. Some info from the 60's said lining your hole with organic matter would form a seal. This Large Scale BTW. This was a Russian technique. My suggestion to future son in law with city water and liner. Purchase cheap fish and wait a year. Plants like water hyacinth add O2 and food but the purity aka dead water in my perspective takes time to mellow or find its own center. With acid rain it gets more complicated too.
That site I posted wants to sell chemicals because of a chemical problem. Round and round it goes etc.
http://www.permies.com/permaculture-forums/3409_40/permaculture/gley-tech nique-for-sealing-ponds-and-dams-and-walls
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Russian+Pond+Organic + matter&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Ponds and water reflection noise movement add or make an environment that attracts life and beauty. Worth the work.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

snakes will also go after and catch your goldfish. It's the reason my mother no longer has a small garden pond. It wasn't deep enough so the fish had no escape or a place to hide. Not a pretty sight seeing a big ole bull snake swimming in your pond and then crawls out with a goldfish.
Donna in WA
Billy wrote:

My pond is shallow, less than 2 feet deep. A cow on the loose took a drink and swallowed the two largest goldfish. Luckily the raccoon have left it alone. Just last night however I left 2 almost full fish food containers outside. Of course they were empty this morning.

I left a container of concentrated fish fertilizer outside last year and it was taken. This spring I found the container in the woods seems someone ate or drank it.
Unbeliveable.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Bill who putters wrote:

Check out your neighbours, smell their breath.
David

For a pond ten feet in diameter: Less than 1 foot, and the fish would be gone in a night. At one foot to 2 feet, small fish may survive. Two to three feet, you'll lose the occasional large fish. Three feet and deeper, your fish should be safe.
Lilies would help give cover
--
- Billy
Tony said

Wow, how big are your racoons? They can take-on a cow?
;-)
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:08:12 +0000 (UTC), DirtBag

"The Cow" is what he calls his wife. LOL
Concerning pond and fish.
I'd guess I killed 70% of my fish from using clarifiers that reduced the O2. O2 GOOD low bad. This over perhaps 10 years. My fault and due to striving for clear pristine people wanting pond. Gave it up and now the fish thrive with one notable exception I hide it from the sky. Seems after camouflage was worked out a monster spotted my pond. Ate some whole and just took the eyes of the larger Koi. So my pond is well hidden now and the great blue heron who was very close to death has not come back.
The guy with cow and wife ideas is not well.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

It's Shelly. What else?
--
- Billy
Bill who putters wrote:

I have a pump for the 3 little waterfalls and 2 bubbler's. I think mine has enough oxygen. Anyway, the pump has a cheap filter that started to fall apart. I made a new filter out of this black stuff that was used in the ridge vent on a steel roof. The stuff works GREAT! It doesn't clog too quickly once you get the pond reasonably clean. The water is sparkling clear. The stuff looks similar to the extra course 3M Pads.

OK, I'll tell the wife the cow stays and she goes.
brooklyn1 wrote:

No, that's my EX wife! ;-)
DirtBag wrote:

Sure no problem! But they don't touch the wild boar.
habitat wrote:

Raccoons will eat them. Also some birds will, too, depending on the size of the pond.
gloria P