Are the oleanders coming back?

About five years ago, yet another plant plague seemed to hit southern California - the ubiquitous oleander bushes were all sagging, apparently from some internal bacterial infections spread by sap-sucking insects.
Now, just driving around, I happened to notice that all over town, the oleanders seem to be doing just fine! And two I have in the front yard, that we've cut down to the ground twice, are regrown to about five feet, flowering, and seem to be healthy.
Has anybody heard an official word on this?
Thanx.
J.

It is still prevalent in many parts of the south, in particular, Texas. I lost three of them. Good! What a honkin' pain they were.
On 7/26/2008 11:43 AM, JXStern wrote:

In California, the blight is known in San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Orange Counties, Los Angeles, Ventura, and Santa Barbara Counties.
Late last year, when I was choosing plants for landscaping my hill (see <http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_back.html#hill ), I told thelandscape contractor I wanted to restore the oleanders that had been growing there before the hill was regraded: tall, white up the sides and short, hot pink across the top. He recommended strongly against oleanders. He said that, in five years or less, they might have to be replaced as the blight spreads. (I'm in Ventura County right near the border with Los Angeles County.)
According to the University of California (see <http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7480.html ), there is noknown treatment or cure. Pruning affected branches might temporarily improve the appearance of the plant, but the entire plant is infected once any symptoms are visible.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean