Are the big gardening magazines worth the money?

Page 2 of 2
Heidi wrote:

I don't know what you consider a "big" gardening magazine.
Most of the Better Homes and Gardens magazines about gardens are not worth the money, at least in my opinion. The pictures are pretty, but you don't get a lot of information about how those nice people actually created their lovely gardens. They're more interested in products than instructions. However, they occasionally have good articles, and their plant lists for different types of environments or objectives might give you some ideas. Either subscribe at a deep discount or scan the table of contents thoroughly before buying.

Subscribe? hardly worth it! Visit the local library and thumb through them a better value. Organic gardening is pretty much empty, Mother Earth News went yuppie or lawyer 20 years ago. Even Scientific American has been dumbed down. Taunton Press puts out a magazine called "Fine Gardening" I would give as a gift but read for myself at the public library.
snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com (Beecrofter) wrote in message

my sentiments also. some are very pretty and i like to see the pics, but not enough to sub and have stacks of mags to store!! a Cherokee friend was written up regarding her herb garden and her pic was on the front with all the plants surrounding her.. but it was all actually a montague and the garden was nothing like the photo!!! it did look good; looked for real; pretty but misleading. not realistic. she is a good herb gardner, but it was a lot of fake. i have read a lot of literature in past years, but have really learned more from you regulars y lurking this NG than anywhere else. Thanks to you all. love...granny lee(leona). oh hey! i was 75 9-1-03 and all my children and grands and great grands came to see me into the 76th year! one time i told my doctor that i didn't really like to spend so much time sleeping... at 8 hours a day i would have spent 25 years sleeping by the time i was 75... he told me i wouldn't get to 75 if i didn't sleep the 25.... fooled him! i have reached it on about 5 hrs nightly average which i think is about 18 years of sleep for 75 years!!.. beat his estimate by about 8 years!!! ya-nanny..ya ya !!!!!! hehehehe!!!!

I disagree. I think if one finds a mag that one likes, then it is not only appropriate but important that one subscribes. People who like a magazine but don't subscribe have no business complaining when it goes out of business. Subscriptions are important not only for the money, but even more important because it allows the mag to charge more for advertising.
I have no problem with using the library or web to *find* magazines that one likes, but if one finds a magazine one wants to see survive, then it does both the magazine and the readers a disservice not to subscribe.
billo
Heidi wrote:

Well, it depends on what you want . . . they can be great for getting ideas that you can adapt to your own yard. However, if you're looking for practical, step-by-step advice, they're not much use.
BTW, you can substitute time for $$$. If you budget out for one real splurge every year, it's amazing how fast you can get some really nice plants in your yard. Buy ONE of that to-die-for perennial, and make it into many by dividing. Grow from seed instead of buying plants. And, get to know your local gardeners . . . we divided the german iris this year, and I gave away over a thousand fans. In return, I've been showered with slips and cuttings and divisions of all sorts of plants to expand my yard's diversity.
Chris Owens

that's about what i do.. and just this summer i have a new neighbor who is landscaping her own yard and i had some starts to give her and she gave me two good banana trees that are coming along quite well!!! she has a bunch of them! the one she gave me already had a baby coming up!!!! among others, another neighbor has Gillardia and wanted fennel so now we both have both!!! love... granny lee