Are common house ants cannibals?

Are ants cannibals?
A huge trail of ants (many hundreds) was on my kitchen counter last night so I sprayed them with vinnegar (I was out of windex so I used vinnegar instead). Being late, and wishing the vinnegar to discourage new foragers, I retired for the evening.
Much to my chagrin, another, even larger swarm of Argentine ants had taken over my counter top, this morning - and the dead ants seem to have disappeared. I was surprised.
So, I sprayed 'em again and left the area for a while. Sure enough, yet another swarm replaced the second, and I noticed some carrying away the dead bodies of their camerades.
My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling entice them to cannibalism?
Flikina Rosalka had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Are-common-house-ants-cannibals-326363-.htm : I know lasius niger ants are because I saw a group of them eating one of their queens (came back later and found they had left half the corpse). They weren't provoked but spray or anything because I wouldn't want to get rid of them (even though they are a bit of an inconvenience when they're all over the kitchen floor between 9 and 10 PM). Quite a number of bugs are cannibals so it's not really suprising.
Donita Luddington wrote: