Arborvitae Substitutes ?

Hello,
We wanted to put in arborvitaes along our back property line for screening however every nursery tells us they are deer candy (at least here in upstate NY) and don't do it !
Is there any substitute that is deer resistant and resembles the pyrimidical shape of arborvitaes? Ideally we would like the shrub to be anywhere from 6 to 12 ft high , 8 ft wide max. Any suggestions?
TIA
If you are looking for a pyramidal plant more similar to arbovitae than the holly Pam suggests, you might consider some cultivars of Juniper virginiana. I think deer are not as fond of juniper as of arbovitae, although as Pam mentions, there are no plants that are 100% safe when the deer starvation times arrive.