Apple seed. . .

Using advice I found on the Internet, I placed several apple seeds in a damp paper towel and stored them in the refrigerator for a couple of months.
They still haven't sprouted, but I see no evidence of rot or mold.
Can I expect them to sprout when I put them in the ground in the spring?

Since you have many seeds, I would plant at least one of them in a small amount of dirt ( dehydrated pod thing) and see what happens. I would think if they sprout in that they will outdoors.
On 1/22/12 8:32 AM, Ray wrote:

Apples do not grow true to form from seed. For example, seed from a Macintosh will not produce a tree that has Macintosh apples. Instead, the results could be a new, desirable variety or a not-so-good variety.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

David, your response doesn't answer the question that was asked.
--

Billy

E Pluribus Unum

If it was me with the apple seeds, I'd consider this as one of the most useful answers. The OP may be after another variety but he didn't post anything that said or implied that.
There's no guarantee that the seeds will sprout buy I'd say it's very likely. If they do, now the OP has an idea about what to expect.
--
Dan Espen

And there you have it, a definite "likely".
<http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/propagation/f/applesfromseed.htm How Do You Germinate Apple Seeds? ? They need to be exposed to cold first, called stratification. You will need to place many seeds (they only have around a 30% germination rate) in a bag with damp moss. Place in the refrigerator for about 6 weeks, then plant in a pot. You will later need to prune and train it to be a proper apple tree.
Yeah, it's a slow day here so far. Go 49ers, and Ravens. Now I gotta go find the beer.
--

Billy

E Pluribus Unum
In article

Hmmm. At least the beer was good :O)
--

Billy

E Pluribus Unum

It's certainly possible and more so if you kept them moist.
I put some Auricaria bidwilii seeds in a plastic container and stuck it in the fredge and promptly forgot them for months. When I took them out they had already started to sprout. I did the same thing with acorns but buried them in potting mix before putting them in the fridge and they too had started to sprout - I got either 17 or 19 scarlet or red oaks and one different oak out of that lot. These being bigger things would be more likley to sprout than apple seeds, but if you kept them moist then I'd say they'd probably still sprout - you'll only know for sure if you plant the seeds and care for them.
On 1/23/12 12:38 AM, Farm1 wrote:

Chilling in a refrigerator works only for seeds of plants whose native regions experience significant winter chill. It might harm seeds of plants native to my climate (see my signature below).
Among such oaks as Quercus lobata and Q. agrifolia -- both native to California -- no chilling is needed. Several times, I have successfully grown Q. lobata from acorns without any chill. See <http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_oak_acorn.html .