Anyone use Tree Guard without killing their trees?

I don't know if its just a weird coincidence but after I sprayed Tree Guard on my shrubs and lower evergreens this year (had major deer damage), they started to dry out then brown. Now the leyland cypress are all dying or dead. Several have turned completely brown and been removed, the other 21 are in various stages of dying. (so is the boxwood, hinoki cypress, weeping nootkentensis, and blue star and chinese (I thought NOTHING could kil THEM)junipers )...so far the only evergreen not effected are the spruces. Is this the way Tree Guard is supposed to work: kill off the evergreens so there is nothing to eat so the deer go away?
rich haynes
did you have drought in your area last year? are these trees on a watering schedule?
Ingrid

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

No, if anything we had too much water last year......more than the norm anyway.......... watering schedule?????? Nope, just when it rains ....which was pretty often last year. (actually same as THIS year!
rich