Anyone Tried This?

This has likely been discussed and I've found some theoretical and anecdotal evidence online, about using diapers in containers for their water retention properties.

Have any of youse done this and have any recommendations or tips?

I am wondering how much your soil volume will fluctuate as they release moisture or if this is a problem, as long as you water frequently.

I have some extra unusable adult sized ones (you can use your imagination here....some of you likely know) and I tossed one in a bucket and started adding water. The thing ended up absorbing a gallon of water.

Would one want to put one in the bottom of a container or mix the fluff throughout the potting mix? I am going to try both unless someone else has done it and has a recommendation.

Yeah, yeah Steve. I know. It all Depends, eh?

Carefully Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I'll pass -- on this that is! I use the crystals myself, or my wife does.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Cut it apart and mix the stuff inside through all the potting mix. Will work like a charm.

I'd been thinking of trying lightly used baby diapers like this.. Urine only, mind you, and not loaded down either. Figure it'd be a nice nitrogen boost, but it'd have to age in the soil mix before use.

Eh, if people pee on a compost pile, why the heck not.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Darn, I had that one teed up and ready.

Reply to
Steve

Hmmmmm.........hmmmmm.

Using gelatin, would this be good medium for any pathogens that might be introduced to the mix, through the potting mix or air? I don't know, just wondering. You are right, it would supply amino acids.

Shoot, it's worth a shot in a pot. I'll let ya know!

That is one good thing about container gardening.....you can isolate your experiements.

Thanks fer the idea!

Oh......gotcha...the *plants* root. ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Do you like the results you get with the crystals? Cuz I'm thinking the diaper filling is just filler with the crystals and they are free, for me, and I am one cheap sucker.....

BTW......how do ya'll hold the crystals in place....just sprinkle them in yer shorts? Sorry...I couldn't resist! ;-)

Care, and well met Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

And here we are. In this case a consensus of one may be enough!

Hmmm.......as I typed this I thinks to meself, what would happen if one presoaked one in fish emulsion solution and tossed it in the pot?

I wondered the same thing. I have two grand babies around and will give it a try also.

Exactly!

Carefull on those stilts! THey'll sink in soft soil.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I would make sure the plastic part is off and would not use to much or the roots would rot. My self I use the crystals from the store. I container last a long time..soil moist is the name I believe. I always get my wet first before putting them in because they swell up so much that only a few crystals is enough. it's too easy to put to much in dry.

Reply to
cpw68128