Anyone Getting Anything Good In?

Just wondering what you all have on order, or plans to buy when you hit the ground running after the last frost. ;)

I've got.. Oh gosh.. Alot of stuff ordered and coming in. Just got 4 grape vines and 5 blueberry bushes in today. I've got some leaf mold piled up from the fall leaves that I'm going to mulch them with when I get them in the ground this weekend.

Bunch of other stuff coming.. Some shrubs, pile of flowers, etc..

So how about you all.. Ready for that last frost?

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

I got some cabbage seeds and lettuce seeds under grow lights and over a hot pad on low. In a month, I hope to start my tomatoes, peppers, and beans.

Reply to
Billy

Impatiens. Got some walleriana 'Bruno" coming up from seed, and a bunch of trailing 'Fanfair' ordered. A big bunch, the minimum order is killer.

Reply to
Charles

Fanfare Petunia?? I'd LOVE to try some of that... I've got a hair brained idea of having planters on the flat roofed part of the house and having trailing plants grow down from them..

I could swear I had a source spotted for that in the US but now I can't find it, nor the zone information on it.. Hmm.. Maybe it's not good for this zone but I was just taken by it.

Oh well.. As for roof watering, be a snap to set up a timed drip irrigation just for the roof planters since power and water can be so close. With a little drilling and setup.. ;)

Let me know how they work out and if they're water hogs or not..

I'll do seed starting next year most likely.. I've got a spot in my basement near a window, sump and power that I'm going to end up building a grow shelf at. For now though, we're doing most from started plants.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

No, Fanfare Impatiens.

is a trailing Petunia, "Suncatcher" sold by Ball that might work for you

Charles

Ahhh, ok.. Thanks for the info.. I'm not sure what it is that I found.. Just remember that it got crazy long, like 5' or so..

Oh well.. It'll come to me, when I least expect it, and no doubt when I don't have a pen and am in the middle of something which ends up making me forget it again..

:p~

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

I think you were right, there is a Fanfare petunia, seems to be a UK thing. It's just not what I was talking about.

Reply to
Charles

I've got some seeds I have to get started. But with more snow tonight, I'm having hard time getting excited about spring. Feel like I'm trapped in endless winter.

Cheryl Isaak

It's winter time Cheryl. It's winter time. Sorry, but it's true.

When can you normally get into the garden? Six to eight weeks is good lead time for transplants.

Reply to
Billy

Reply to
tuckcarmela

I know - and some years I might be able to start clean up now. With 10 more inches headed my way, it could be May.

Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak;776741]On 2/28/08 10:57 PM, in article

0pLxj.348$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews2.bellsouth.net,

"Scott Hildenbrand" "scott[dunspamme]"@fuzzywolf.com wrote:

- Just wondering what you all have on order, or plans to buy when you hit

the ground running after the last frost. ;)

I've got.. Oh gosh.. Alot of stuff ordered and coming in. Just got 4 grape vines and 5 blueberry bushes in today. I've got some leaf mold piled up from the fall leaves that I'm going to mulch them with when I

get them in the ground this weekend.

Bunch of other stuff coming.. Some shrubs, pile of flowers, etc..

So how about you all.. Ready for that last frost?- I've got some seeds I have to get started. But with more snow tonight, I'm

having hard time getting excited about spring. Feel like I'm trapped in

endless winter.

yup there are fanfare petunias as well. we sold a lot of them at the garden center i used to work at here in canada. they are really pretty and do cascade beautifully :). i betcha your impatiens will do wonderfully as well ;). cyaaaaa, sockiescat :).

Reply to
sockiescat

When is the ground warm enough for tomatoes? Here in my hilly, coastal, northern California habitat, it is usually mid-May, and June before the ground gets to 70F and the vines really start to push.

Reply to
Billy

Ever try those "wall of water" mini habitats? I did hoping to get a week or two head start. Slugs loved them as a nice warm place with food nearby.

Bill

Too expensive for me. On the up side though, "Sluggo" has cleared my yard of 99.9% of the snails and slugs that I have been fighting, low these many years. With the snails at bay, I'm doing my soil modification with clear plastic. But May ain't here yet and who knows what surprises it may hold.

Reply to
Billy

I've been using "escargo" which is similar to "Sluggo". I've tied for years to find Iron Phosphate as it is the active ingredient. Seems escargo is 1% Iron Phosphate 99% inert ingredients. This stuff is expensive. So my plan was to blend up 99% bread and 1% Iron Phosphate.

I can't find it!! One ounce would do my life time :))

Goggle all you want and you find out about coatings for metal.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Tomatoes - not until late May or early June.

Cheryl (whose DD is skipping hockey practice this AM as the snow falls)

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I usually don't wait for the "last" frost, it jumps around so much I just kinda guess. Sometime in Feb and sometimes in April....... Anyway I have spinach and Walla Walla onions in since Fall They are looking good. Peach and apricot are in bloom as all of the almond orchards surrounding us. I put my tomatoes started earlier into 4 inch pots today. They usually go out anytime between Mid March and early April depending on weather. Will plant some lettuce seeds in a week or so. Peppers and Maters go outside during day and in at night so far.

Flowerwise, the camellias are in full gorgeous bloom. Early Daffodils are fading from the 76 degrees on Thurs. Its back to 60s today. Primroses and Hellebores are in bloom too. Many things are showing buds now.

I planted Euryops (yellow daisy bush) a Tiarella and Hypericum Tricolor last week. Ive been cleaning up from the Big Storm and moving things (always). Been working about 3-4 hours each day, so come on out, Cheryl and I'll put you to work!!

Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

Lots of daylillies and ornamental grasses for my area. I am going to be completely xeriscaped out front. Last year I turned one clump of bulbine into three flats of plants, now in the greenhouse, and plan on using those along with small ornamental grasses in in several stands for the strip between the street and lawn. I also started many Red yucca's and will clean it all up and plant and mulch heavily after I completely saturate the soil. I'm sick of that dumb wasteful strip and just short of cementing it in I'll try this out first.

Reply to
Jangchub

Not in my house where we slept with all the windows open last night. We'll get one more snap, I'm certain, but we didn't have one hard freeze (below 27) the entire winter, and barely hit 32 but a few times, maybe. Everything is coming up. Even pineapple sage!

Reply to
Jangchub