Anyone Getting Anything Good In?

Page 1 of 2
Just wondering what you all have on order, or plans to buy when you hit the ground running after the last frost. ;)
I've got.. Oh gosh.. Alot of stuff ordered and coming in. Just got 4 grape vines and 5 blueberry bushes in today. I've got some leaf mold piled up from the fall leaves that I'm going to mulch them with when I get them in the ground this weekend.
Bunch of other stuff coming.. Some shrubs, pile of flowers, etc..
So how about you all.. Ready for that last frost?
--
Zone 6b, SW KY - http://www.hildenbrands.com

I got some cabbage seeds and lettuce seeds under grow lights and over a hot pad on low. In a month, I hope to start my tomatoes, peppers, and beans.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:57:59 -0600, Scott Hildenbrand

Impatiens. Got some walleriana 'Bruno" coming up from seed, and a bunch of trailing 'Fanfair' ordered. A big bunch, the minimum order is killer.
Charles wrote:

Fanfare Petunia?? I'd LOVE to try some of that... I've got a hair brained idea of having planters on the flat roofed part of the house and having trailing plants grow down from them..
I could swear I had a source spotted for that in the US but now I can't find it, nor the zone information on it.. Hmm.. Maybe it's not good for this zone but I was just taken by it.
Oh well.. As for roof watering, be a snap to set up a timed drip irrigation just for the roof planters since power and water can be so close. With a little drilling and setup.. ;)
Let me know how they work out and if they're water hogs or not..
I'll do seed starting next year most likely.. I've got a spot in my basement near a window, sump and power that I'm going to end up building a grow shelf at. For now though, we're doing most from started plants.
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:45:41 -0600, Scott Hildenbrand

No, Fanfare Impatiens. http://gardening.about.com/od/plantprofiles/a/SB_Impatiens_2.htm
There is a trailing Petunia, "Suncatcher" sold by Ball that might work for you http://www.ballfloraplant.com/press_release_suncatcher.aspx
Charles wrote:

Ahhh, ok.. Thanks for the info.. I'm not sure what it is that I found.. Just remember that it got crazy long, like 5' or so..
Oh well.. It'll come to me, when I least expect it, and no doubt when I don't have a pen and am in the middle of something which ends up making me forget it again..
:p~
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 01:01:34 -0600, Scott Hildenbrand

I think you were right, there is a Fanfare petunia, seems to be a UK thing. It's just not what I was talking about.
On 2/28/08 10:57 PM, in article 0pLxj.348$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews2.bellsouth.net,

I've got some seeds I have to get started. But with more snow tonight, I'm having hard time getting excited about spring. Feel like I'm trapped in endless winter.

It's winter time Cheryl. It's winter time. Sorry, but it's true.
When can you normally get into the garden? Six to eight weeks is good lead time for transplants.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
On 2/29/08 12:27 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy"

I know - and some years I might be able to start clean up now. With 10 more inches headed my way, it could be May.

When is the ground warm enough for tomatoes? Here in my hilly, coastal, northern California habitat, it is usually mid-May, and June before the ground gets to 70F and the vines really start to push.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
In article

Ever try those "wall of water" mini habitats? I did hoping to get a week or two head start. Slugs loved them as a nice warm place with food nearby.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fourseason/msg050945215109.html
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

Too expensive for me. On the up side though, "Sluggo" has cleared my yard of 99.9% of the snails and slugs that I have been fighting, low these many years. With the snails at bay, I'm doing my soil modification with clear plastic. But May ain't here yet and who knows what surprises it may hold.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi,
In article

I've been using "escargo" which is similar to "Sluggo". I've tied for years to find Iron Phosphate as it is the active ingredient. Seems escargo is 1% Iron Phosphate 99% inert ingredients. This stuff is expensive. So my plan was to blend up 99% bread and 1% Iron Phosphate.
I can't find it!! One ounce would do my life time :))
Goggle all you want and you find out about coatings for metal.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather
On 2/29/08 5:10 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy"

Tomatoes - not until late May or early June.
Cheryl (whose DD is skipping hockey practice this AM as the snow falls)

Not in my house where we slept with all the windows open last night. We'll get one more snap, I'm certain, but we didn't have one hard freeze (below 27) the entire winter, and barely hit 32 but a few times, maybe. Everything is coming up. Even pineapple sage!

Going out to Baker Creek Wednesday to get a variety of their heirloom seeds. Got a $50 gift cert to spend. Getting mostly maters and peppers, and am trying some new radishes, lettuces, and melons (damn raccoons!). Jere will try to talk me into some exotic root crops, and I will probably try one or two. Other stuff is mundane, but lots of landscaping and flower beds this year -- trellises, fences, arbors, etc. Seventy six degrees today and up to TWENTY FOUR inches of snow expected by noon Tuesday -- damn groundhog.
cheers
oz, setting up the seedling "tent" in the library.
On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 17:55:43 -0800 (PST), MajorOz

You sure you read or heard correctly? http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Mansfield&state=MO&site=SGF&textField17.1097&textField2=-92.5809
I agree with your tiredness of this winter, being on the other end of the state. It sucks here too. Ice played hell with the trees, and power early Dec. Lookin at a couple of inches of new snow tonite and the next week of cold again.
Crap.....just went outside for ...relief... and the freekin' ground is white again. Oh well, guess we must need it, eh?
Just completed my belated order to Rareseeds......gotta love Jere and all. Marvelous assortment of heirlooms from around the world. Good prices, good measure, good service.
Care Charlie
On Mar 2, 10:28 pm, Charlie wrote:

The two feet of snow was what the guys said Sunday. Today they have pulled back and said ONLY 8-14 inches. It's already sleeting bullets outside. I just saw a hairy woodpecker at one of the feeders get zapped by a pellet. If you ever get a chance, come to Baker Creek (he is trying to popularize the name "Bakersville" now) on the first Sunday of the month. There are exhibits, schmoozing, and LOTS of music (may even hear me). Naturally, in the hotter months, there is more to do, but it is always worth the effort.
cheers
oz, sipping tea through gritted teeth while staring out the window
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:42:10 -0800 (PST), MajorOz

Seems to me that this has been one of the longer winters in my memory. I know that we are all really tired of this and it looks to be cold all week. I was dreaming of planting lettuce last weekend, but that is on hold.
Looks like Jere is developing a nice place.....kinda reminds me a bit of the old Silver Dollar City. We haven't been there for about twenty years, though we went often from the mid sixties thru the early eighties.
Lovely and I were talking this evening about heading to Springfield for a few days this spring. We have a hankering for some throwed rolls. Been a few years.
Post it up when you intend to play. You gonna get yerself on the youtube with the other players? ;-)
Keep the ear flaps down, Charlie