Anybody know of a decent corded trimmer

Looking for a decent corded trimmer that feeds reliably and will last. I'm tired of throwing away cheap plastic crap or struggling with balky feed mechanisms that never work for more than a few minutes at a time. My first trimmer, a B&D bought some time in the early '80s, worked great until somebody stole it, but every replacement I've tried has been a piece of junk. It seems like the corded trimmers these days are treated as the low end of the product line.
Are there any decent ones or do I need to say screw it and go with gas?
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 08:37:24 -0400

For stuff like that I patiently troll Craigslist for a used version like I had/want. Use a search term like "decker elec* string" without the quotes. Search several times a week until the model you want turns up.

I don't think you will find a suitable gas version that isn't pretty expensive. They have screwed/cheapened the consumer grade gas versions too. You would have to get a commercial grade machine like you see the lawn service guys using. Be sitting down when you price them...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

At this point expense doesn't bother me. If I could get a decent corded trimmer for 2-3 hundred bucks I'd go for it in an instant. But all I'm finding are gas and battery.
J. Clarke wrote: ...

hmm...
our string trimmer sits in the shed now most of the time as what i need to do is a little more than what a string trimmer can manage. instead i use a decent set of hedge trimmers. this isn't easy on the back, but i'd rather use the hedge trimmers any time in comparison to the mess that the string trimmer made. ran me about $40 for the B&D hedge trimmer with a titanium blade. these are run by cord.
they've probably got shears for edging that work too, but i haven't looked at those lately.
songbird

You can do some pretty good work with a hedge trimmer. Knock out the large areas then go after the detail work with the trimmer, if you even need to.
snipped-for-privacy@mail.not says...

Ended up going with the 58v Echo. Works a treat. Heavy bugger though.
J. Clarke wrote:

I think electric trimmers are pretty useless powerwise, batty types are heavy and with corded you're on a leash... I've been using an Echo string trimmer for 12 years and it gets a good work out on 16 acres with never even one trip to the repair shop, its 2 cycle engine is plenty powerful, yet miserly with fuel, very easy to start, light weight to carry the distances here, and the price is right... Echo makes great products... I have the GT-225i: http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Trimmers
On 8/30/2015 8:37 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

I have no experience with this particular one but I do have confidence in Stihl's products in general. I've been using my gas-powered Stihl for 15+ years with nothing more than a plug change. Take a look at:
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/homeowner-trimmers/fse60/
They do have an equivalent that is powered by a lithium battery but since you seem set on a corded unit...