Any Sand Cherry experts out there

I've google with little success - I want to move a sand cherry to a better spot, more sun and less chance of being taken out by the plow guy.
What I really want to know it how large the root system is likely to be.
I want to prep the new home first, which will take a few days (or more) and then start moving it. I also want to rescue the "blue monarda" that a friend planted there so there will be lots of digging going on.
Thanks Cheryl

Is this what you want?
<http://www.naturehills.com/product/purpleleaf_sandcherry.aspx
If the info below is good and if Mature Spread = 7-8 feet I'd hazard a guess the roots venture out close to that
Bill
PS do you eat the cherries?
Purpleleaf Sandcherry Details: Plant Facts Mature Height 6 - 8 feet Mature Spread 7 - 8 feet Soil Type Widely Adaptable Moisture Widely Adaptable Mature Form Round Growth Rate Moderate Sun Exposure Full Sun Flower Color Pink and White Fall Color Red Foliage Color Purple Zones 4-7 The Purple Leaf Sandcherry, Prunus cistena, is a thick-growing, long-lived shrub that is sometimes called the Purple Leaf Sand Cherry. It produces bright red 3 inch leaves in spring and blushing, white flowers in May. In autumn it produces purple-black cherries and the foliage turns a magnificent reddish purple. This ornamental shrub is especially valued for its hardiness and unique coloring. It is an asset to the landscape and a standout specimen shrub. This deciduous plant makes a wonderful hedge as well. Grows 7-8 feet tall, depending on pruning. Plant 2-3 feet apart for a hedge and best planted in full sun.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
On 5/5/09 1:18 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com, "Bill"

I was looking more for does it have a tap root or many large roots - sort of the basic what does the root system look like. I hate to have dug too deep or not deep enough.

just missed them all together because the birds got there first.
Cheryl
PS - thank you
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote

with moving other trees the size and age of the tree will dictate the extent of its roots... cherry tree roots grow outward just slightly past the tree's drip line and there is no tap root. It would also help you to know what the soil it's growing in is like, there may be a lot or rock making it near impossible to dig. And if your tree is of a size more than ~1 1/2" caliper you may need to have it machine dug. From what I've already gleaned sand cherry is not a very long lived tree (it's actually more of a shrub), so it may be wiser to leave it and keep it well pruned and plant something new rather than move your old tree. http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/commonshrubs/p/PurpleLeafSandC.htm