ants on milkweed

I have a potted milkweed on my patio that has ants all over it. Will the ants eat any caterpillars I bring in from the garden? There will never be any eggs on it as the patio is screened. I just bring in a few caterpillars now and then for the kids. No aphids, at least for now.
Deborah wrote:

You would need to get the ants identified to know what they may eat. Some do hunt meat others survive on sweets from plants/aphids.
Lar