Ants in the Compost

Page 2 of 2
OK back to plan B then. Thanks, don't want dead plants or ants and would rather go the natural way. I am careful about what go in the compost. Mulched leaves, coffee grounds, grass clippings mostly and some lime. I did give the pile a hard kick today after the good rain we had last night. (It was still moving-tomorrow I will throw in some more lime give it a good turning and run fast!)

that would however depend on how much borax you used eh. I you threw masses in to the compost expect it to be poisioned. If the borax was mixed with sugar and placed in a bait station it should be fine. Borax is poison, hence we should not eat it, but is also a common cleaning product. I use it in the washing machine. My pick, and feel free to prove me wrong, is that a reasonably small amount of borax (in a bait station) will not harm the compost too much. If some finds its way in it will be diluted with rain and be mixed into negligable amounts when the compost is turned and eventually dug out. It is also a fairly simple chemical as far as I know that does not reside for long periods after become wet.
rob

masses
hence
the
by that I mean not throwing borax all over the compost like you would lime. Mixing it with sugar and placing it in a container ants can reach is the way to go. You would not pour litres of commercial ant bait on the compost don't do the same with borax.
rob
Doug Kanter wrote:

Doug, I hope you meant that as a joke. Any bleach would make the compost worthless for a very long period of time.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969