Ants In Hummingbird Feeder

Does anyone have any slick ideas for keeping ants from invading hummingbird feeders?
Rich from PA
EVP MAN wrote:

LeeValley.com sells hummingbird feeder ant moats: http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?pS826&cat=2,51555,53826
But hummingbird feeders still attract ants on the ground so I don't bother... I hose the feeders off outdoors before bringing them in to clean.
White_Noise snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EVP MAN) wrote:

it hollow side down onto the feeder hanger wire, and smear a little tanglefoot up inside the hollow.
On 6/8/2011 10:29 AM, EVP MAN wrote:

I hang mine from an overhead hook using a very fine monofilament fishing line. The ants do not seem to have figured it out after two years.

Elegant solution - I'm going to try it. I might add that it would be best to keep the line short so the birds don't snare themselves, or crimp a spltshot or two on a longer line to keep it visible.
I have mine hanging from a double shepherds hook. My neighbor told me that she smears some petroleum jelly on the pole and that seems to work well for her. I just got two new feeders today called hummingnizer feeders. They have a built in bug moat in the center. Twenty minutes after hanging them, I looked over and low and behold there was a hummer sitting on the built in perch feeding. Never thought they would attract the birds that fast!
Rich

Mine hangs under the eave, about 6 inches down, on a piece of aluminum rod that is bent in a S shape. The plastic coated wire that came with the feeder is tied in a loop - to hang over the S hook. I have no idea why - but the ants haven't discovered it yet. The orioles are loving the hummer feeder this year - - more than ever. It's situated right outside the kitchen window and the clothes line runs right by - a couple feet away - the hummers like to sit & rest on the clothesline and guard the feeder from there. John T.
--- Posted via
I hang my feeders from the top of my deck on a 1/16th OD wire, welding wire is good also. I need something that wont break when storms are thrashing. I tried coating this wire but the ants walked right over it, then I placed vaseline on it. They try, however get caught in it and die, when they die they aren't able to transmit their routes to their family. Underneath on the deck I place a solution of borax...20% borax to 80% sugar, mix with water to make a paste. This eliminated the ant problem. for me...